Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #61 
sunstar93

So yesterday and today were very sad days...
First, please do not think bad of me for doing this. I begged my parents but they wouldn't budge...
I had to give away my four cories ):
I don't really want to go into detail (kinda private, sorry) but basically there was no way I could keep them after my parents put their foot down. So I went to Petsmart, where I am friends with one of the employees, and asked if she knew anyone who could give them a good home. Well, she called one of her friends, a former manager, who said she would take them. So, at 1:00 today, I relinquished my four little girls over to her....but I met the lady who agreed to take them and she was really nice and I liked her right off the bat. She is putting them in a huge 45 gallon community tank that also houses 2 peppered and 2 green cories...it has sand substrate and lots and lots of plants. So as much I hated (and still hate!!) to give them away...knowing that they are in a wonderful new home kinda takes some of the sting out.
Also, after the departure of my four girls, I decided to do a major overhaul of my 10 gallon. I got a divider (which, btw, is a pain in the neck to install!) and put Toby on one side and Aria on the other. I released Toby first while I was still floating Aria, so that if he found a hole somewhere, he wouldn't end up fighting with her. But now they are completely settled in. They still flare through the divider sometimes- Toby is gorgeous when he flares!! (I'll have to get a picture up). And Aria flares at everything now: her reflection, her food, me..it's insane lol. She puffs out her gills and flares her fins. But I lined the silk plants along the divider to help break up the line of sight and it's helped. They don't really seek each other out anymore, they just flare if they happen to see each other lol.

~Sunstar~
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #62 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter for some reason does not flare.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #63 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry you had to give up your cories but at least you know they went to a good home.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #64 
sunstar93

Thanks DQ...it was very hard..but they are in a better home now.
Choc: he's only ever flared after I put him in the divided tank lol only Aria will flare at herself in the tank wall but nobody else will.

So a little update on my betta trio...sorry for going MIA for a few days lol, craziness with finals coming up and having to move out of my dorm.
First, Toby, the little sneak, chewed a big chunk out of his tail. So I'm divising a plan to take care of that... Second, Aria is still kinda bloated but I'm hoping that maybe it's just eggs or something? I'm not too familiar with females. And do females blow bubble nests??
Lastly, sadly, my poor little Leo...his ventral fins are basically strings. His tail has finally grown out!! But I'm afraid the parasite is winning...my poor little fighter boy...I'm not sure what to do anymore. I've graduated him to 2.5 tsps of dissolved AQ salt but I've had to stop the Maracide for now...I feel like an awful betta mommy. I won't give up on him!! I'm just afraid he won't win this battle :(

~Sunstar~
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #65 
sunstar93

I know it is a little late but I just want to say I'm proud of our Johnny Football!! He's the first freshman QB to win the Heisman and I'm proud to say he's led our Fightin' Texas Aggies to win 10 out of 12 SEC games....our first year and we're showing them how we do it here in Texas!!

[ps...I'm not really a football fan *sacrilege in texas lol* but I love the spirit of all the teams in our conference and can't wait to see everyone play again next year!!]

~Sunstar93~
Old 12-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #66 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Maybe I can try the mirror trick?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #67 
sunstar93

Possibly!! I know it works for a lot of people! My two boys don't fall for it though lol. Leo (when he was in my 10 gallon) would just check himself out all day and not flare one bit. And Toby only flares when he sees another live better- no tricking him lol. Aria is the only one the mirror works for and she loves to flare at herself in the mirrored wall of the tank. So it may work for Carter! It's pretty cool when they finally flare though lol
Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #68 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow he seems very intelligant.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #69 
sunstar93

Lol I think it's just his personality...but maybe he's smarter than the average Betta haha. I think I just get ones that have calm personalities. Aria, who flares at herself and everything else, is a little firecracker so maybe that's why she flares easily lol
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #70 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Few species can recognize there reflection.