Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 
JAGalletta

New Jersey

Hello all,

I just got into fish keeping this fall, and am currently the proud parent of a black orchid crowntail betta named Thai, a sunset platy, a mostly-black calico molly, and three ghost shrimp.

I am a 24 year old licensed Red Seal 2B Refrigeration Engineer in the state of New Jersey, and use my license to run IQF blueberry freezing equipment on my family farm. In the off season, I design database applications for efficient collection and analysis of the various types of data available to us on the farm. For example, last year I designed a database that keeps track of all of our crop protection material applications, and allows us to keep track of costs, inventory, and report our material usage to the state as mandated by law. This year, I am working on a solution to provide our field scouts a timely and efficient means of collecting information on the types of pests, plant diseases, weeds and/or maladies present on the 1300 acres of our farm, how to identify each, and a way to visually present the data acquired in an easy to translate manner. This information will allow us to protect the crops, and prevent pests from destroying and/or contaminating the food supply.

I also specialize in food safety, defense, and security. This type of work deals with identifying and preventing various contamination potential risks to the blueberry production, packaging and shipping operations.

When I am not at work, I am either home with my fiance, tending to my fish, training my 7 month old Pitbull, Angel, attending online classes for a BSBA in CIS or flying model airplanes. Having a fish tank has given me an extra sense of responsibility and accomplishment. Having the patience to properly cycle a tank and the restraint to stock it properly have shown me what I am capable of accomplishing when I put my mind to a given task.

I am especially happy to have found this forum, since I lost my first Petsmart betta after only three days of ownership. At that time I was completely ignorant to the fish's needs and knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle. At the moment, I have successfully revived (from shipping conditions) and kept my imported crowntail from Thailand for over 6 weeks, cycled my 5.5 gallon tank, and attribute my current success in the hobby to these forums.

Although new to the hobby, I plan on continuing my learning and hope to be able to afford to responsibly breed bettas in a few years. In the short term, I am interested in starting a naturally planted tank, and getting into saltwater when the time, space and money are available.

Nice to meet all of you on here,

John
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Welcome!!
Sounds like you are a pretty busy guy!! I would never be able to pull off doing all of that!
I have a black orchid CT as well. He's my absolute favorite coloring of betta's.
Goodluck on your betta & fish keeping journey!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Nice to meet you..

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.

Enjoy your stay...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 
jibruno

welcome, im from central jersey. nice to know im not the only betta keeper in the state haha!
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #5 
BeatrixKiddo

Hiya!

I'm also from NJ, specifically from Monmouth County. I'm new too, and I already have 3 bettas.
BeatrixKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #6 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote