Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #11 
Myates

Freeze dried isn't recommended to feed as a regular meal - the freeze drying process (and some freezing processes) remove a lot of the nutrition from the food. It's high in protein, but is generally recommend to feed only once or twice a week at most.

Ideally, you don't want to pre-soak their foods (with exception of frozen, you will want to defrost it first), as when the food hits the water it starts leaching out all of it's nutrition - so with freeze dried it starts to break down what little nutrition it has. Pre-soaking the food also does not help prevent bloating, as bloating occurs due to over feeding, and feeding low quality food.

If you are looking for nutritious food for the betta, high quality pellet foods (such as New Life Spectrum, Omega One, Atison's) is a better alternative. Frozen can be fed a few times a week as well to give them a boost of protein.. frozen being better than freeze dried.

I applaud you for looking for good nutrition, just keep in mind not to always believe what is on packages.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #12 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If you are looking for nutritious food for the betta, high quality pellet foods (such as New Life Spectrum, Omega One, Atison's) is a better alternative.
Where do you find NLS brand? Petco/petsmar nor any of my other local petstores do not seem to carry this brand.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #13 
Myates

I do about 98% of my purchases online - living in a very very small town where the closest Petco/Petsmart is almost 2hrs away makes it just easier to buy online.
I go through the IBC store for my foods - but you can purchase them here on Amazon.. here is a link to their betta pellets.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

" As with freezing, the freeze-drying proccess does destroy some crucial enzymes and other nutrients, but these foods are still excellent sources of most nutrients contained in the animal before freeze-drying, and can be used as part or a balanced diet for fish." From Culturing Live Foods by Micheal R. Hellweg.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #15 
Butterfly

I have omega one freeze dried bloodworms for fred. I tried to give him a whole one but the poor thing couldn't chew it all down xD He attacked it, only got halfway in his mouth, spit it out, tried agian, etc. I pipetted that one out and ripped the next one into thirds. He ate those just fine.

Soak before use.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Remeber FD only ounce a week.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #17 
Signature Farms

I have one, Oil, who doesn't like freeze dried bloodworms, but loves frozen. I'm thinking it's the scent in the water. I put it in and he goes wild for it.
Signature Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #18 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Haha, afraid of fruit flies. That's funny.

When the weather is warm, I can sometimes find mosquito larvae for them. They LOVE those! Wow, do they swim fast to catch 'em.

That said, I am NOT going to start a mosquito farm for them.
Not to hijack the thread but curious, how does one feed mosquito larvae to fish?

See, my in law's pool is like, in poor condition. The pipes and filters and junk broke and it's been just sitting water and algae ridden and blahblah. It's FULL of larvae though. I was thinking of getting some for my goldfish but idk how safe it is as we've had a huge outbreak of west nile down in this area of Texas.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mosquito fish are great.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #20 
Syriiven

My female betta didn't appreciate freeze-dried blood worms either =) But she definitely goes for the Omega One pellets and all of them love their frozen blood worms.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote