Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #11 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Most folks mean well, but the sad fact is that the well meaning folks are contributing to this problem.
Please buy from a breeder or check with someone here on the forum before you feel the urge to "rescue".
Okay, I've been reading what everyone has to say. And I made another thread stating I prefer breeders bettas much more BUT I do think, if you feel a special tug for a sick betta, that you should act on it. I know if I hadn't for my two girls, I'd regret it.

I do understand that it is only prompting the store to get more fish and neglect them, but that's why we as a betta community whole should write and complain to corps so they know how we feel, that even though we paid for the fish, we didn't want too.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #12 
thisismethere

Honestly,If I would have seen that happen I would have done the same thing. Do you have pics of Monty? =)
thisismethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #13 
Darth

I knew this would ruffle some feathers, but it isnt me that should be the target here...yes, i am glad you saved 17 fish, you were lucky but that is 17 more fish replaced by some that may not fare so well.
I bet they store did not stop after they sold you those 17 did they?
I have seen a few places that have a clue, but it has been years and I could count them on 3 fingers.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #14 
pittipuppylove

Huh, that's a new one to me. Most of the pet stores I've seen claim the oposite, that they don't live very long and therefore don't require a huge commitment. However, that's typically surrounded by "that .25 gallon cup is more than enought room for your betta and a goldfish", "they live in puddles made by the hooves of cattle", "they don't need a heater", and other claims of that sort.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #15 
hannah16

Really? Even when I was a kid, the guy in charge of fish told me his lasted 3 years in a half gallon unheated bowl. At the time, I thought that was true but my mom still wanted heaters for the tanks. Now that I'm older, I highly doubt that fish lived three years, especially if it was unheated.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #16 
MidTnBetta

When I was in high school, I had a wal-mart betta VT male who lived probably 2 1/2 years. I know he lived 2 years as I got him in 10th grade and still had him when I graduated. He was in a 1 gallon, unheated bowl that got weekly water changes. I know, still horrible, but he stayed in a warm room, and I didn't know a ton about bettas then. So it is entirely possible.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Most folks mean well, but the sad fact is that the well meaning folks are contributing to this problem.
Please buy from a breeder or check with someone here on the forum before you feel the urge to "rescue".
At least the individual does well. It is a rescue you are rescueing the fish from an envirement that would kill it or severly shorten there life.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
I knew this would ruffle some feathers, but it isnt me that should be the target here...yes, i am glad you saved 17 fish, you were lucky but that is 17 more fish replaced by some that may not fare so well.
I bet they store did not stop after they sold you those 17 did they?
I have seen a few places that have a clue, but it has been years and I could count them on 3 fingers.
If you knew it would upset people why post it? The store does not care if they die buy it or it die it does not matter. They dont care it only costs them .50$ per fish and they get them in mass quanity.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #19 
registereduser

My Petco fish are fine and healthy. No problems buying from them.

I have bought from breeders as well and have been happy but wallet empty
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco has great variety.