Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #11 
callistra

Photos are really needed. Also answering the questions above like about darting would be helpful.

He probably needs a good broad range antibiotic like Kanaplex, but aquarium salt may be helpful.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #12 
lexylex0526

To answer above questions, he has infact been darting around and always laying on his silk plants. He has no bloat and is looking pale. Sorry but I can't post pics my phone won't upload them :/

I just went out to petsmart and I just bought some aquarium salt to add to landins tank, but I have some questions.

1.) How much AQ salt for a 1 gallon?

2.) Do I let the salt dissolve before adding him back?

3.) After adding the salt do I have to do daily water changes?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #13 
lexylex0526

^ need help asap, my betta is waiting in his cup to go back in his tank.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #14 
sunlight

sorry too late. Yes you need to dissolve 2 tsp/gall. Shake it and make sure it dissolved. It important to make sure it dissolved and it important that you do correct dose.
It important if you can raise the temperature gradually like i wrote before about 1-2* in about an hour. If you can do 84* it would be very helpful. I explained already why heat will help above in my thread.
Yes you need 100% daily water changes. When you do 100% water changes make sure you acclimate him slowly to the new chemistry/temperature. Just have him in the changing cup and add some new pre mixed salt water and let him sit for about 4 min -then repeat for a few times , this way he will get used to the new water.
Also like i wrote before all equipment that you are using wash with hot water and completely dry out after each uses it will kill parasites.
Also how is his breathing. Is it look like he is gasping for air or has heavy breathing?
Take everything from his tank and wash in hot water and let it completely dry out.
Do you have live plants?
Give us update because i think you will need to increase the salt dose in a few days . I hope he will get better.

sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #15 
sunlight

also you can pre mix water in advance ,like day before. Also make sure when you change him that new water temperature is approximately the same temp as his. About 2* difference is fine since you will acclimate him slowly.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #16 
lexylex0526

Thanks for the advice guys! I added 2 tsps. of the aq salt, and his water is 84 degrees. He is swimming better but I will continue to do 100% changes and add salt for the next 10-14 days. I will update how he is soon :)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #17 
Laki

Never add more than 2 tsp of salt and don't leave him on it for longer than 10 days. Hopefully this improves his condition!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #18 
sunlight

Hey Laki, i do know for sure that you can use aquarium salt in dosage of 3tsp/gall in certain conditions. It all depend on symptoms. And in some conditions like external parasites you can use up to 14 days.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #19 
Laki

I believe you.. It sounds dangerous to me- or at best, uncomfortable to the fish. What are your sources?
*because I have never dealt with parasites I don't actually know but I thought for sure it was maximum 10 days, 2tsp.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #20 
sunlight

Just reading a lot on the forum .Saw a lot of post with the same problem and also people like Sakura,ANHEL and some other helpful people helped.

For the Aquarium salt and Epsom salt i learned from this forum

Aquarium salt (Sodium chloride) for injuries,wounds,external parasite,fin damage/rot(not plant tolerant)

Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) for buoyancy issues,swim bladder problems,constipation(plant tolerant)

Both have a antibacterial/fungal effect

Both you can use in doses of 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall depending on what/why you treating . Also make 100% water changes daily with most treatment and use no longer then 10 days, in some cases up to 14 days.

It better to keep them in the hospital tank and maintain a water temp of 76-78*
Always pre - mix salt to make correct daily dosage and water changes easier.
But don't use aq salt long term though. Its doesn't prevent disease or parasites and long term can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues and kidney damage...and long term non-therapeutic dosage can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed.
With external parasites though i saw some bettas died and some recovered, but also people were using medications . Some people used medications before salt , others after salt treatment.