Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #1 
sunstar93

Epsom Salt Bath?

So my little betta Aria has looked bloated and round ever since I got her (I'm not sure if it is a girl or a boy anymore lol....a large yellow betta with a huge egg spot that blows bubble nests?). Well, I know what regular females look like then they are full of eggs but she's...rounder. So I'm gonna do an espsom salt bath and see if that helps any (I'm only gonna do one for now).
A couple of questions:

1. What is the ratio of dissolved plain epsom salt to one quart of water? She will be in a Tupperware container while she's taking it lol. (what comes to mind is spa day haha).

2. How long do I leave her in there?

Thanks!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Well, to make the ES do its wonders, you have to do the whole 10-12 day treatment. Or until she's thinner again. It's usually 1-3 teaspoons per gallon but I'm sure a teaspoon is not too plenty for a quart. Remember to premix it, (dissolved!) and do 100% changes daily.
Whole treatment; For 10-12 days, premix a teaspoon of the epsom salt in a jug of dechlorinated water. Add it in the QT tank and remember to acclimate carefully. Do 100% daily changes until the bloating/days counted are up.

Good luck! And fast her 1-3 days prior just in case for an unneeded treatment. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #3 
sunstar93

Thanks LebrontheBetta....espsom salt treatment is one thing I haven't have to do so I'm clueless on it lol. And okay, I'll do the whole treatment....wasn't sure if it was one day or what. Thanks!! (and she's not going to be eating for a couple days anyway, I left her at my parents house while I'm back up at school for my final so I got that covered lol).

BTW, your siggie makes me miss my four little cories!!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Lol no problem. :) I hope she gets better soon!
Cories are really fun! What happened to yours? And the nest on your avi is like a huge bulk! lol It's really big.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 
sunstar93

Lol I took a picture from the bottom for my avi..he builds it up high on the wall of his tank haha. Right now at home he's got a huge one going against the divider!!
I hope she gets better soon too! I feed all my bettas Omega One pellets now (sometimes the Omega One flakes as something different) and maybe it's a sudden diet change that has her bloated lol. I'm not sure maybe she has a "blockage" haha.
And I had to give them away :( I couldn't bring them home with me and it was so sad...but I found a really good home for them! I gave them to a lady who is friends with one of my friends..she has a 45 gallon catfish tank with sand and lots of plants and 4 other cories for them to play with. So even though I'm sad they had to leave me....they are in a good home now!
[I wrote out the full story in my journal "The Problem with Bettas" lol]