Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #251 
Meggie6347

bettasareawesome: I raised my baby betta (the first one) for a few weeks in the breeder net inside my ten gallon. I fed her through a medicine syringe (so that no food went to the bottom and so I could make sure she was eating everything I needed her to eat), so every time she sees it now, she knows to come up for it..she just eats straight out of the medicine syringe..like I don't even pump it out for her. (If that makes any sense). She now jumps for it, which is convenient for me because my fat molly can't jump so i just hold it an inch above the water to feed her

You could try the syringe and get her used to it..or, like chocolate betta said, separate her during feeding time..if you still have the cup that you bought her in, you can cup her, feed her, and then release her back into the tank..or if you don't still have the cup, I'm sure any tupperware or something would be fine

I think that feeding through the syringe is helpful because you are not just dispersing all the food throughout the water...you are keeping it confined to one area that you want only your betta to get to and the others can't steal it because you have full control over it

Let me know if this helped at all!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #252 
LeoTheLakerBetta

A new Petco that opened a little further away from where I live is selling baby bettas. First time I have seen them and up until now I haven't realize how small they are! I can't help but feel sadness and pity for them but it's good that some people save them :)
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #253 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It really is sad most of them are going to live a short stunted life.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #254 
hannah16

I hate bumping this thread but- my Petco isn't selling "baby" betta fish, but these two females I picked up today were TINY. I knew if I left them, they'd die =/.. so I baught them, and paid close to $9 for both since they are CT females.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #255 
Melodica

I was at Petco tonight. There was probably a total of 30 or so bettas in containers on the display and then around 10 more on what I call the fish station, where they put the barcode on the fish.

They had a mix of all kinds, both male and female, some that I've never seen. There were crown tails, veil tails, halfmoon, round tail, double tail, plakat, king and mixtures of those. Some were very pretty and expensive (the kings were $19.99).

I picked up a container and saw a tiny little female and was surprised. As I looked closer, I saw a few more babies, mostly female. There were only a couple of males. There were also a couple of dead adults that looked like they had passed away long ago, which really made me angry. Don't they check the containers??

I ended up walking out with two males. A double tail and a halfmoon (pictured). I already had a red veil tail that I liberated from Walmart in a second attempt after my first boy got chewed up by a filter (learned from that mistake).

Anyway, after reading this, I'm glad I didn't pick up one of the babies. I don't know that I have the experience or time to nurse one and I'd hate for it to die, though I really hated leaving them there too. I'd bring them all home if I had the space (and if they wouldn't just replace them tomorrow)
Attached Images

Last edited by Melodica; 12-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #256 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
I hate bumping this thread but- my Petco isn't selling "baby" betta fish, but these two females I picked up today were TINY. I knew if I left them, they'd die =/.. so I baught them, and paid close to $9 for both since they are CT females.
Dont worry this thread is not that old.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #257 
hannah16

I went to a petco that was farther from my house and saw the $1.99 baby bettas. They were smaller than the two I purchased yesterday. If I had any skills with small fry, I'd probably snatched up one =[ Hated leaving them though..
Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #258 
BettaPirate

I saw some at petco a few weeks back and now everytime they get a new stock they say they sell out within 2 days! that scares me because I know that a majority will die in the not even .25 gallon cups they sell to keep them in! :(
If I found the right baby I would consider getting one but for now I think I will just get a second adult because I know I can take care of them.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #259 
hannah16

I think that Petco is stupid and smart at the same time. On one hand, the $1.99 price makes most of the stock sell right away, but lots of them die too because they need special care. Stupid because what if that fry turns into an EE?! That's $18 you lose Petco. STOP SELLING BABY BETTAS.... It's so sad...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #260 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Most will probably die from malnutrition.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta