Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #21 
LebronTheBetta

I honestly never heard this one before.
My Petsmarts and Petcos just let me buy my fish. They don't say anything, they just do their job. I sympathy rescued Winnie, she's a gorgeous dragon scale now. Well, not sure on the dragon part but she's not lethargic anymore!

Why can't we just be happy for the ones who helped a fish's life? Even if the fish we buy get replaced, there's more to come soon. There's no end to the cups, rumors, or bad advice. It's just life, we have to deal with it even if it's nonsense for us fish lovers. /:

As long as you help the fish, what's the difference if you have to buy it? Even if you buy from a good breeder, it doesn't mean that they're going to stop making high quality fish, neither the fish mills on mass reproducing. Lets just be happy for the fish getting saved. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #22 
hannah16

GREAT Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I honestly never heard this one before.
My Petsmarts and Petcos just let me buy my fish. They don't say anything, they just do their job. I sympathy rescued Winnie, she's a gorgeous dragon scale now. Well, not sure on the dragon part but she's not lethargic anymore!

Why can't we just be happy for the ones who helped a fish's life? Even if the fish we buy get replaced, there's more to come soon. There's no end to the cups, rumors, or bad advice. It's just life, we have to deal with it even if it's nonsense for us fish lovers. /:

As long as you help the fish, what's the difference if you have to buy it? Even if you buy from a good breeder, it doesn't mean that they're going to stop making high quality fish, neither the fish mills on mass reproducing. Lets just be happy for the fish getting saved. :)

Thank you Lebron. This was a moving statement. I agree with it. <3
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Its either die on a shelf and get replaced or get a good home from us.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #24 
LebronTheBetta

Aw, shucks. Thanks Registered.
I agree with Choc. As long as the betta gets a good life, it should be okay.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah look Carter gets a palace to himself.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #26 
Katy

Interesting thread- I've never bought from a breeder actually, not that I'm against it, I just typically end up falling for bettas from LPSs. I maintain about 15 bettas at a time, I've lost some yes, but most I've had for years. Been to some horrible stores and some that are willing to learn...
I can see the point of not rescuing fish because that will perpetuate the problem.... Rescuing (aka buying) fish from the shelves does in a way create a vacuum per se, a place to bring in more sickly fish in need of rescue.
However, that is unfortunatley irrelavent, because sadly at the end of the week (or 2 or whatever) the petstores generally make room for more fish by flushing the dead or diseased fish down the toilet. They will make room on the shelves regardless.
So until they don't sell bettas at all, I will continue to rescue fish.

And sorry to say we cannot argue that buying the bettas is what keeps them selling them, because they do not actually make a profit from selling bettas. It's fish accessories that make profit.
ChoclateBetta I love your signature!
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #27 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Aw, shucks. Thanks Registered.
That was hannah, not me, but I agree with her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy View Post
Interesting thread- I've never bought from a breeder actually, not that I'm against it, I just typically end up falling for bettas from LPSs. I maintain about 15 bettas at a time, I've lost some yes, but most I've had for years. Been to some horrible stores and some that are willing to learn...
I can see the point of not rescuing fish because that will perpetuate the problem.... Rescuing (aka buying) fish from the shelves does in a way create a vacuum per se, a place to bring in more sickly fish in need of rescue.
However, that is unfortunatley irrelavent, because sadly at the end of the week (or 2 or whatever) the petstores generally make room for more fish by flushing the dead or diseased fish down the toilet. They will make room on the shelves regardless.
So until they don't sell bettas at all, I will continue to rescue fish.

And sorry to say we cannot argue that buying the bettas is what keeps them selling them, because they do not actually make a profit from selling bettas. It's fish accessories that make profit.
EXCELLENT POST
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #28 
Phaydra

Petco and Petsmart will sell Bettas regardless if I buy one or not. I would have missed out on Bubbles and Fluffy if I had the attitude that they aren't good enough because they are from a Petco/smart. Better they go home with me then random person number 1 that also bought this
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, I thought that was you. Whoops...
Thanks HANNAH.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #30 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaydra View Post
petco and petsmart will sell bettas regardless if i buy one or not. I would have missed out on bubbles and fluffy if i had the attitude that they aren't good enough because they are from a petco/smart. Better they go home with me then random person number 1 that also bought this

so cute!! You named a betta fluffy xdd!!!
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote