Betta Fish Forum banner

How to clean after betta passes

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sandrac8388 
#1 ·
I have a 10 gallon planted tank with a filter and heater. About 8 ghost shrimp and 2 nerite snails. My betta got sick Thursday morning and passed away last night. No one else died and I'm not sure why he got sick or why he died. I thought maybe it was dropsy or an internal parasite but I have no clue :(

I was wondering how do I clean his tank and prepare to maybe put in a new fish if at all. Should I break it down? Please help. Thank you.

#2 ·
As a general rule after any death or removing a fish to QT for treatment...Make a 50% water change-even if you just made one.

Often we never know why the fish died and aquariums in general always have pathogens normally in them, however, it is the fish immune response that keep them from being problematic/pathogenic. With some of these things-no matter what you do, how you clean-the pathogen will always come back since they are a normal part of the system.

Sorry for your loss....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.