Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #1 
Giuga10

Breeding Problems And Questions.

I've been attempting to breed my white Half Moon male with my white Veiltail female but have been having some problems.
I bought both of them from Petsmart and I know what people say but I am 100% sure they are young and healthy enough. I have bred petsmart bettas before.
Anyways so I put the male in (on Friday) for 1 day prior to introducing the female and he made a small bubble nest under my styrofoam cup. After that day I put the female in a clear cup and put her in the water and he instantly started flaring at her. I released her and they didn't do much after. So for 3 days now they have been in the same tank. I haven't been feeding them (I was told not to on several websites). During those days, the male has built a nest that takes up about half of the 5 gallon tank (it's massive) so the nest is definitely ready. The only problem is that she isn't. While he is constantly adding to this extravagant nest and chasing her around she, is just searching the bottom for food, is it possible that shes just too hungry to focus, she definitely is full of eggs because her egg area is nice and plump. Could she just be hungry and not focused. The male is definitely interested.
Any help is great. Thanks.
Giuga10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

The people who complain at others for breeding pet store fish need to realize 1. where those fish came from and 2. 99% of people on here have done it.

The only thing you may come across, since the background is unknown, is random colors popping up

You are allowed to feed them. I do. They calm down and even join together to feed, then go back to darting, chasing, flaring, dancing, etc. My one female could eat a horse if I let her. I fed her during her stay in the tank with him and she was finally ready to submit.

Also, she could be easily distracted as was mine. I put up cardboard on all sides so she could not see out. That way it was easier to focus on one thing: breeding.

You could also use a mirror (or another female...jarred and floating) for her, to get her to get all pumped up with breeding. Another female to her, is rivalry.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
Giuga10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
The people who complain at others for breeding pet store fish need to realize 1. where those fish came from and 2. 99% of people on here have done it.

The only thing you may come across, since the background is unknown, is random colors popping up

You are allowed to feed them. I do. They calm down and even join together to feed, then go back to darting, chasing, flaring, dancing, etc. My one female could eat a horse if I let her. I fed her during her stay in the tank with him and she was finally ready to submit.

Also, she could be easily distracted as was mine. I put up cardboard on all sides so she could not see out. That way it was easier to focus on one thing: breeding.

You could also use a mirror (or another female...jarred and floating) for her, to get her to get all pumped up with breeding. Another female to her, is rivalry.
Thanks for the help I'm gonna try putting up the cardboard.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Usually first time breeders take longer. My longest was one week - my tank was full of plants so they had a hard time finding each other.

Usually the female will eat normally during the courtship period. Males eat a bit and sometimes don't eat at all.
I always try to feed my pair during courtship. But once spawning is done, I fast the male until fry are free swimming (most wont eat anyway and I always have live tubifex in the breeding tank).

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's fine to breed petstore bettas. I know several breeders who have done it and produced beautiful fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your purty pair :3
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #7 
Myates

I have a male from a pet store I am planning on breeding :)

Just remember you will end up mostly with VTs and deltas - but white is very pretty :)

How long and how did you condition them?

How long was the female in the cup before you released her?

As mentioned before, not uncommon to take a while - just recently saw someone in a breeding group mention her spawn finally happened after 2 weeks.

Patience is needed when it comes to breeding... I found that out the hard way.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #8 
Giuga10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your purty pair :3
Here's a picture of the Male: http://i.imgur.com/04uNc.jpg
Here's a picture of the Female: http://i.imgur.com/SzFws.jpg
Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Very pretty!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #10 
Dragonlady

Your male and female betta appear to be veiltails. If you look closely at his caudal, you only see primary (2 ray) branching and his caudal spread is nowhere near the 180 degrees that are expected of Halfmoons. If you breed this pair, it would be reasonable to expect 100% veiltail offspring. If the pair have been properly conditioned and their size is compatible for one another, they will probably eventually breed. You just have to be patient and let them do their thing. Occasionally, betta pairs decide that they just want to be friends. If this is your first betta spawn, I wish you the best of luck. Do you have brine shrimp eggs ready to feed the fry if the pair does have a successful spawn?
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote