Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #11 
Syriiven

They're darting at the sides, especially Seiya...(my super delta) and they were doing it in their temp 1 gallons too =( Not a lot, but I didn't find anything resembling velvet on them so I just continued with water changes. I don't know, maybe I should do a hopsital week. Some AQ Salt for two days, a day of clean water, tehn two days of epsom and back to fresh water and see if the behavior changes? I can't find anything exactly describing what they're doing...
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #12 
DragonFish

I took a look at your thread, but Sena seemed to have already answered you. xD

I agree, often most of my fish will be very active and swim quite quickly with their noses against the side of the cup trying to get out when I have them cupped and acclimating after a 100% water change and when I first bring them home. Some do do it a little more then others, and often I find that these are the ones with a more active/spunky sort of personality.

The darting you want to worry about is called 'flashing'....and that is when they rub and 'flick' themselves against things. Now, its not uncommon for bettas to do this every once and a while, but if they're doing it excessively is when you want to start worrying.

But since you haven't seen any god dust or any other signs, they're probably just excited and active. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #13 
Syriiven

-biiiig sigh of relief-

You've probably met plenty of fish mommy's on here who stress about their darling bettas, but I have lost weekends of sleep on Phy, my VT cause he's a tail-biter and just won't let it grow out so I'm always second-guessing biting vs tail rot with him. Kalec and Seiya are both new (just this weekend) and am just so worried (excited, but cautious, right?)

I'll still watch them like a hawk until they calm down.

Thanks for checking the thread =) And answering my concerns ^^
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #14 
DragonFish

Haha, oh I have, and I was definitely one of them for sure! Its perfectly understandable; they're our pets, our companions, part of our families.....we love them and worry about them. xD

I can assure you it gets a little easier after a couple of years though. You get used to what to look for and how to take care of things, what looks normal and what doesn't, and you start to trust your intuition a little more, and you just sort of instinctively start to KNOW when something is off or not.

Tail biters don't get any less frustrating though. xD Less stressful, but certainly not any less frustrating. I've got a boy who has decided he'd rather be a PK then an SD. ;P Silly thing.

You're very welcome! I'm glad I could be of help! :)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #15 
Syriiven

His dorsal seems droopy now. -sighs and lets head hit desk- But his colors are fine. But he's been sleeping under this leaf on one of his plastic plants (safe plastic plants, i checked). =/ He was fine and making bubblenests until I added this small whisper filter....but now he's all clamped. Prlly need a better heater for him. Tho the one in there is too big for the tank anyways >.<
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #16 
DragonFish

Dorsals droop sometimes, thats fairly normal.
The filter might be too strong for him, did you baffle that one as well? Is the heater not working well at keeping his temp stable?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #17 
Syriiven

It seems to keep it stable. Between 25/77 and 26/79. Maybe it's just not warm enough for him. It's a tetra...25 or 50 watt. I only had the two heaters available at walmart here and no small ones at petsmart the other day. I may have to order smaller, better heaters for Demi and Phy. This adjustable one int he 10g works like a charm tho. Solid 79-81 for the last 24 hours after I figured out the dial xD
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #18 
DragonFish

Ugh, those Tetra present heaters....I'm really not a fan of those. xP Extremely unpredictable and unreliable, really a hit or miss whether you get one that heats over 24/76 or works at all and I've read that often crap out fairly quickly in comparison to other brands....
Ugh, its really frustrating that places don't sell decent small heaters.....

Anyway, besides my useless rant about the brand.....I think Amazon has Hydor Theos and Elites(they say present, but I do believe they are actually adjustable)for decent prices.....