betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #231 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They sound great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #232 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah they are. Only downside is they are extremely difficult to correctly sex. Males and females can look practically identical. I still don't know what gender any of my adult offspring are.

Only way I could tell mum and dad apart is that the dad is huge compared to everyone else and mum has a big dip in her topline near her head. I did think that perhaps she had died after I put them in together and she came out missing half her dorsal and some of her caudal. However, that was just them courting and they spawned pretty soon after.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #233 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do they interact with you?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #234 
LittleBettaFish

All of the species in this complex (including my rutilans) can be quite shy, and since around 90% of my tanks are dedicated to housing them, I can sometimes go a whole day without seeing any more than a glimpse of any of them.

However, they will come out during feeding time and just to see what I am doing. If I tap on the glass most of them will pop out and have a quick sticky beak before vanishing.

With that said, the persephone juveniles I am growing out are all very friendly and spend most of their time smooshed up against the glass wanting to be fed. The only problem with not being able to see the fish as much is that it is ten times harder to check on their health and general well-being.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #235 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Big foot fish do they excist?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #236 
PitGurl

more babies....
Attached Images

PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #237 
LittleBettaFish

Took a couple of quick photos of my tussyae juvenile. Unfortunately, it is not as coloured up as it used to be as I think it misses having its siblings around. I sometimes put the mirror up against the glass to give it something to look at.

Have no idea what gender it is either.

This is just a temporary tank until it reaches adult size.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #238 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Love the moss.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #239 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Love the moss.
The one thing wilds need to feel secure in their tanks is lots of moss cover. Especially the shy ones.

Speaking of shy fish, I saw Mrs. Smaragdina yesterday! In fact, I thought she was dead because she was sitting on top of the sponge filter and didn't hide when I came in the room. I dipped my finger in the tank right in front of her and she still didn't move, so then I panicked and smacked the side of the tank and she freaked out and hid. And then I mentally kicked myself for doing the worst possible thing I could have chosen to do, lol! Watch her hide for 3 weeks now. I'm worried I won't be able to find her to send to Setsuna haha.

Last edited by babystarz; 12-11-2012 at 08:39 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #240 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
The one thing wilds need to feel secure in their tanks is lots of moss cover. Especially the shy ones.

Speaking of shy fish, I saw Mrs. Smaragdina yesterday! In fact, I thought she was dead because she was sitting on top of the sponge filter and didn't hide when I came in the room. I dipped my finger in the tank right in front of her and she still didn't move, so then I panicked and smacked the side of the tank and she freaked out and hid. And then I mentally kicked myself for doing the worst possible thing I could have chosen to do, lol! Watch her hide for 3 weeks now. I'm worried I won't be able to find her to send to Setsuna haha.
She'll be find she just scared thats all
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote