Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #21 
Perry the platypus

It sounds like she does have popeye. does the eye look like this?
Name:  betta popeye.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  7.7 KB The body part sounds like body rot. Is the patch silver?

Last edited by Perry the platypus; 12-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #22 
SuperNoob

Well his eye is out like that and then it has like a little bubble along the bottom. He had it when i bought him. Thats why i tried the antibiotics but it has never changed in the 8 months I've had him. I think i've given him antiobiotics about 6 times now. Always a different kind.

And for the patches, they are silvery white. He is silver so it looks whiter on him. What antibiotic do you suggest Perry? I have a box of E.M. Erythromycin, Super Ick Cure (malchite green and Nitrofurazone), Fungus Cure (victoria green b and Acriflavine), T.C. Tetracycline, and now trying Maracyn Plus (sulfamethazine and trimethoprim). The eye has never changed. When I gave him those first 4 before, I would follow the box directions for 1 or 2 rounds and then dump the entire tank, scrub with hot water and put in all new water with .5 to 1.0 ml of stress coat. I also tried adding 1/4 tsp of AQ salt a couple times. With the suggestions on this forum, I now see I wasnt being aggressive enough with the stress coat and salt. I hope that is what makes the difference with this round of antibiotics.

His body rot started out after I got him and slowly progressed to what it is now. His eyes also slowly progressed with the cloudiness to the point now that cant see very well. When he started getting lethargic I knew i had to reach out for help and that is where i am.

He is actually swimming around a bit now. =) Yesterday when i put him in his hospital tank for the first time with all the salt and stress coat and antibiotics, he pretty much just stayed on the bottom. Tonight I skipped the antibiotic per the instructions on the bottle. No real change with his eyes and patches though.
SuperNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #23 
callistra

For popeye epsom salt is what you want, not AQ. 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp per gallon, predissolved. It also needs to be 100% pure with no additives or dyes of any kind - read the ingredients list. CVS Pharmacy has some, but I'm sure there are other brands.

You should be seeing good results with the Maracyn Plus within the week..Not surprised you're seeing results in just one day. Adding Epsom salts at a lower dosage to help with the fluid build up behind the eye would be good too. The rest of the meds you own don't stand a chance against body rot like that. Erythromycin being a possible exception, but since he's already been dosed with it I wouldn't try it again. Do a 50% water change before the second dosage tomorrow. Then another 50% one before the last dosage, or if there is ammonia present you can do another 100% change before the last. Key is do at least a partial change in between dosages. You can repeat a second round/week if necessary.

Last edited by callistra; 12-08-2012 at 09:33 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #24 
SuperNoob

Thank you callistra. I have some good kind of unrelated news. My original tank is finally starting to cycle! I have the least amount of ammonia ever and i have some nitrate. Yay! Once Flash (new name from my nephew b/c its a male not a female) is recovered, i think he will be much more comfortable.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #25 
TheCheese909

Make sure you don't only feed bloodworms because they have little to no nutritional value which is why they are called a treat or "betta candy". It's like you only eating chocolate pretty much. If you can find frozen glassworms it would be best, brine shrimp is really good too but is also used as a laxative so if you think he at all is having any trouble pooing then that could be great.

I'm glad he still has a appetite, a Betta who is willing to eat is a good sign. I don't know if you are feeding him wherever in the tank but if you can get him to go to a certain corner every time to eat then it will be easier for him to find food, they can learn quite quickly. Eventually with some taps on the side of the glass and he should shoot for that area for some noms. I've had completely blind Bettas before and they learned fast where their food was.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #26 
SuperNoob

Okay, cool, I will feed him in the same place from now on. My pet store is limited but i'll see if they have one of those other things. I have a container of Hikari freeze dried Brine Shrimp but stopped feeding them to him because its like a powder and they make such a mess in the tank. Are those ok or should i stick with frozen. A lot of people have said freeze dried is not good.

My baby is feeling better today without the antibiotics in the water. =( He blew bubbles last night. I dont want to make him feel bad but i got to get rid of that body rot. Think I should keep going with the antibiotics?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #27 
TheCheese909

Freezedried isn't bad, but frozen is better nutrition wise.. Like fresh/frozen bananas or banana chips, that sorta thing.

I would try keeping up with the medications. Maybe use less, if he was acting not so lively with it then i think using half the amount you were before should be okay. It may take longer for recovery that way but i think a slow and steady pace will help rather than trying to sprint to the finish.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #28 
callistra

Freeze dried is okay so long as you soak them before feeding. If you don't soak them they lead to constipation and eventually SBD.

I STRONGLY suggest you not choose to half medication dosage as on the bottle. You could bread a resistant strain. There's a reason the bottle says a certain amount. Use the dosage that the bottle says. The meds are stressful, so often times they won't be as active, but that doesn't mean they aren't working. With a condition as bad as that you really need to follow through. Also, you need to redose right along with the water change. Skipping doses or waiting extra days can also make the disease immune to the antibiotics. It's just like when the doctor tells you it's important to finish all your antibiotics and not stop when you start to feel better or not to miss doses. That's the kind of stuff that has made some of our older antibiotics like Tetracycline mostly useless... overuse and incorrect use.

Last edited by callistra; 12-09-2012 at 01:49 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #29 
SuperNoob

okay got some frozen brine shrimp from my pet store. And did the water change with a full dose of antibiotics. he seems okay right now. Hopefully he'll be the same in the morning. Thanks for all the good advice guys, i'll keep you updated on his status.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #30 
SuperNoob

Exclamation

did my 100% water change yesterday and did not add antibiotics per the directions. This morning he looks lethargic. He looks like he is trying to swim up the whole time and moving his whole body to push himself up. His patches have turned dark in the middle. I saw some white stringy stuff on his head. I also see some very tiny black spots in random places on his body. Is he being attacked by all fish diseases at once? I just added 1ml of maracyn plus to his water even though the bottle says to skip day 4. Im going to slowly increase the water temp too. why does it seem like fish get worse when you try to treat them? I have also changed his diet. The past 2 days i gave him frozen brine shrimp and he pooped last night. Thats the only good thing. Do you think the brine shrimp is adding diseases? I have a video of him here:

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...=VIDEO0103.mp4