Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #11 
WhiskeyHands

well i tested my tap water once and had no ammonia but how i change water is i have one bucket which i have never used other than for my fish tank so i fill it and put my water conditioner and let it sit a day before changing water. The problem is i remove more water than what i have in the bucket so i have make a refill add the dechlorinator and wait about 5 minutes and fill the tank back.
I was wondering if my ammonia will drop for the cycle to continue eventually even if i do water changes but without it dropping to better water parameters. and yes no whiskey lol
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #12 
lakemalawifish

Well, I don't see anything wrong with the way you are doing water changes, as long a the temperature of the water you are putting in the tank is close to the tank temperature. I use this digital thermometer and it works great

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-Tru...meter/17785566

How long has your tank been set up?
lakemalawifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #13 
WhiskeyHands

i have 2 thermometers in my tank, one digital and one floating mercury thermometer. For about 2 or 3 weeks now. For 1 week it had only a betta and i didnt notice any cycle/ammonia starting so i tried my luck with the betta and added 3 other fish last week. They fight only during feeding time because they steal the betta's food. but yeah that's it, ammonia just started to rise 3 days ago
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #14 
lakemalawifish

Looks like the Betta did not produce enough waste to get the cycle started, then when you added the other 3 fish, it got going. So, you had a slow start and you have one tough Betta!

I just ran across an interesting vid on YouTube - do you know anybody else who has fish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E21dIdJLbs

Unless someone gives me a thumbs down on this, I think we will try it next time we have to set up a tank. Cheaper than buying bio in a bottle and we have about 800 gals of tanks running - yes at our home - we are crazy and we don't even drink Whiskey :)
lakemalawifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #15 
WhiskeyHands

yeah and it is a young betta :D yeah i saw this video but i do not know anyone that can help me with it! and i only have a 21 gallon haha, nothing compared to you, would have sworn you loved whiskey! :p
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #16 
WhiskeyHands

gonna sleep, reply tomorrow

Tags
cycling, death, fish