Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #91 
DragonFish

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for the thread! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #92 
tehrabbit

Whew!

I guess I'm not the only one who was stalking this thread! I've read all the way through and via anxious anticipation, vicariously lived the "OMG MY FISH IS DYING" panic attacks of Twixies... which no doubt I'd have had all on my own if I hadn't read and made mental note of and BOOKMARKED for later reference.

My Hanukkah present was given to me yesterday - a trip to Pestmart, where I got to choose my newest addition my menagerie (2 ferrets and a dog)... a Betta! He is beautiful and named Fluffy... and currently still living in his cup, as we are giving his 1 gal. time to settle.

Thanks to reading the thread, we also are going to install a heater tonight so that he won't become a Fluffy-sicle once we dump him in there. O.o!

So thanks, ladies and gents, for answering and asking questions! You're the best!
tehrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #93 
xtcking

This thread is perfect for anyone who is thinking about a betta. I like it because its not so formal and has technical terms. Im brand new to fish.. period. Twix asked the questions the exact same way I would and they were answered, very well in plain English. This entire forum is very education and with the limited time Ive spend on here, the majority of the community is incredibly helpful and willing to do what they can to help anyone with fish. Everyone is great at spreading knowledge suggesting equipment, good and problemed brands. I can say my new buddy creo is living a higher quality of life because of the people in this community! I hope i'll be able to give back to the newbies when Im an experianced fish keeper!
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #94 
xtcking

On that note, does anyone have any suggestions as far as training and getting to know your betta? ive had creo for 24 hours now, and feeding is still kind of a chore. I have to get his attention and pretty much drop the pellet infront of his face for him to realize I'm trying to feed him. I assume after routine he will figure it out.

he reminds me of the T-rex from jurrasic park, he doesnt just want to eat, he wants to hunt!

I gave him a some what longer blood worm. he beat the crap out of it and broke it into a couple tiny pieces and then swam away, just to dart back at them and gobble each on in a half tank dash. it was actually really amazing to watch!
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #95 
AyalaCookiejar

When I lift the lid on my tank it makes a reflection that distracts my CT, so when I feed him I just turn off the light and he will follow my fingers until I drop the food.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #96 
tehrabbit

Hmmm, I just put Fluffy in his tank (after warming it) and he seems uber happy! Thanks to all of you for questions, advice and all the shared knowledge. He seems to be 'strutting' his stuff for me. What a ham! I had to take pictures (which I'll be posting in the photos thread) though he doesn't flare for me yet. Thanks again!
tehrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #97 
DragonFish

Oh wow.....I'm so surprised this thread has been so helpful, and so pleased to have been a part of it! Just...wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehrabbit View Post
I guess I'm not the only one who was stalking this thread! I've read all the way through and via anxious anticipation, vicariously lived the "OMG MY FISH IS DYING" panic attacks of Twixies... which no doubt I'd have had all on my own if I hadn't read and made mental note of and BOOKMARKED for later reference.

My Hanukkah present was given to me yesterday - a trip to Pestmart, where I got to choose my newest addition my menagerie (2 ferrets and a dog)... a Betta! He is beautiful and named Fluffy... and currently still living in his cup, as we are giving his 1 gal. time to settle.

Thanks to reading the thread, we also are going to install a heater tonight so that he won't become a Fluffy-sicle once we dump him in there. O.o!

So thanks, ladies and gents, for answering and asking questions! You're the best!
That really is so great to hear!! A Betta certainly is a wonderful addition to any family, they're such fun and interactive little guys! ;)

Provided your water(assuming you're using tap)is conditioned with a good conditioner like Prime that removes things immediately, there is no real reason why you can't go ahead and start acclimating your new guy to his new home right away. Besides some harmless bubbles along the sides, theres nothing really to 'settle' in the tank. ;) Just for future reference.

Also, I would highly suggest looking into upgrading options in the near future.....like within the next few months. Provided you keep up with your water changes(2-50-60%s and 1 100% at least I'd say in a one gallon....so it can get a little tiring), 1 gallons can be alright....but IMO/E with the acception of special cases like very large-finned makes and blind/disabled fish that extra 1-1.5+ gallons really makes a difference. Bettas are very active fish, and they really do like their space. ;)
Another issue with a 1 gallon would be heating. Most adjustable heaters will fit awkwardly/take up a lot of space in most 1 gallons, and since you want to steer clear of the present/pad heaters as they are unreliable and, especially in such a small volume of water that is already difficult to heat stably(not impossible mind, several people of done it, but IMO/E its not easy), are so prone to over/under heating tanks......its often just a little easier to invest in something slightly larger thats a little easier to heat/fit a good reliable heater into.

Oh, and don't forget the thermometer(one that goes inside the tank....those sick on ones are horribly unreliable)! I always seem to forget the thermometers.....xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtcking View Post
On that note, does anyone have any suggestions as far as training and getting to know your betta? ive had creo for 24 hours now, and feeding is still kind of a chore. I have to get his attention and pretty much drop the pellet infront of his face for him to realize I'm trying to feed him. I assume after routine he will figure it out.

he reminds me of the T-rex from jurrasic park, he doesnt just want to eat, he wants to hunt!

I gave him a some what longer blood worm. he beat the crap out of it and broke it into a couple tiny pieces and then swam away, just to dart back at them and gobble each on in a half tank dash. it was actually really amazing to watch!
As far as bonding and training goes, it all depends on the individual fish. Some will take a little longer then others, and some are quick as a whip and take to you and the routines right away. Bit eventually he will get used to you, your voice, when you feed him, how you feed him, where you feed him...all that good stuff. xD It just takes time.

Haha, what a feisty little guy!! He sounds like such a blast! xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #98 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Food is the best training. I would try the jumping for food trick.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #99 
ANHEL123

Hey everyone, such a great thread. I briefly read all pages. I just want to add something which probably already was written before just want to emphasize it. When you do 100% water changes you need to take time to acclimate your betta. The way i do it i just have my betta in the cup with his original water. When new water is ready i add a little bit to his cup and let him get used to it for about 3 minutes. Then i do it about 3 times. This will let him acclimate to the new temperature so you don't shock him with drastic change. I like to use aged water it easier for me to control water temperature.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #100 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

When I do 100 percents my Betta goes in a 5 gallon bucket filled with plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote