Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #181 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Maisy- I don't think I'd recommend it, the cichlids didn't really have anywhere to go, and they all get along well enough, minus some aggression from both parties.

Purple- I'd say 3-4 fancies is right for a 55 gallon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #182 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I saw a goldfish living with Cichlids.One of the Cichlids were hurt. 2 dead African Ropefish. It was in a discus tank before. It was supposed to be a snack for the Arrowana. I told them they should sell it as a Fancy Goldfish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #183 
purplemuffin

How about ranchus specifically? What other fancy goldfish go along well with ranchu goldfish? They are our favorite right now. We may either have a ranchu only tank or maybe mix in a different type of fancy depending on what is compatible.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #184 
thekoimaiden

Generally most other fancies get along well with ranchu. Olympia has two in with her ryukin, oranda, and fantails. I plan to put one in with my ryukin and oranda. I've also seen them with telescopes, but you'll want to stay away from the really delicate ones like celestials and bubble eyes.

Since ranchu usually stay between 6 inches and 8 inches, you could easily do 4 in a 55 gal tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #185 
finnfinnfriend

I've been watching videos of orandas and on some of the bigger ones had a wen that completely covered both their eyes. Does that usually happen?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #186 
thekoimaiden

LOL Tiki!! Maybe ask a mod to delete them. About the newts, I would honestly just return them to the wild. Your sister shouldn't have removed them from the wild in the first place. Caudata.org is a good place to find care information if you do want to keep them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I've been watching videos of orandas and on some of the bigger ones had a wen that completely covered both their eyes. Does that usually happen?
From what I understand this isn't very common, but it does happen. I've seen more than a few pictures of wen overgrowth. I do know one way to keep wens smaller is to feed the oranda or ranchu a diet that's not high in proteins. I'm hoping that by getting a redcap oranda (wen only grows on top of head) that I won't have to deal with that problem.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #187 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
LOL Tiki!! Maybe ask a mod to delete them. About the newts, I would honestly just return them to the wild. Your sister shouldn't have removed them from the wild in the first place. Caudata.org is a good place to find care information if you do want to keep them.

From what I understand this isn't very common, but it does happen. I've seen more than a few pictures of wen overgrowth. I do know one way to keep wens smaller is to feed the oranda or ranchu a diet that's not high in proteins. I'm hoping that by getting a redcap oranda (wen only grows on top of head) that I won't have to deal with that problem.
With orandas, is it more desirable to have a large cap or a smaller one? My husband was commenting on how pretty our oranda is and it might be nice for breeding someday but I wasn't sure his cap was desirable.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #188 
Sakura8

Haha, Tiki, posts removed.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #189 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
With orandas, is it more desirable to have a large cap or a smaller one? My husband was commenting on how pretty our oranda is and it might be nice for breeding someday but I wasn't sure his cap was desirable.
Larger wens do seem to be better, but again there is a line. Too large a wen really hampers the fish. You want the wen to cover the entire face but still leave room for the eyes and mouth. Here is what the Bristol Aquarists Society has to say about orandas: Oranda Goldfish
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #190 
finnfinnfriend

I think an oranda with a normal wen looks very cute when looking face to face.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote