Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #11 
sainthogan

My girl jumped out of her tank a little more than 2 months ago. It took her several days to recover from that. She was quite sluggish and didn't really want to eat for several days. Then, one day, she completely snapped out of it and started eating like a pig again. It took her almost 2 months for her fins and tail to grow back to their full glory. If you look at my avatar picture, you can see her about a week after her jump. I have pictures in my album of her tail almost healed. I haven't taken any recent pictures of it fully healed.
Anyway, give him time, it sounds like he's on the road to recover and I agree with the previous poster, be careful with the bloodworms. Bloodworms are like candy to them and don't constitute a balanced diet. My girl was very picky with pellets and I finally found one she likes. She will only eat Hagen's Nutrafin Max Granule Pellets. She LOVES the flakes of the same brand, which are higher quality than most of the cheaper pellets, but I only reserve those for special treats since they are messy. You'll want to find a high quality pellet or flake which at least the first 3 ingredients are a fish protein source and have very few "filler" ingredients such as wheat or any other type of grain.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #12 
trueblu8

Thanks for the replies guys. I know the frozen foods are like candy and don't hold any real nutritional value. I will try to get him back on pellets within the next few days. I have Omega One Betta Pellets which I like a lot because I can either have them float or sink if I want to. Plus I know Omega One makes good quality stuff. I did see the New Life Spectrum at Petco the other day and was considering giving that a try. Now that you say it already contains garlic I may go back and buy it tomorrow. I will also try soaking a few Omega One Pellets in garlic juice and see how that goes. Thanks for the great advice.

Sainthogan it's good to know that you were able to nurse your betta back to health and that it made a full recovery including growing it's fins and tail fully back. Now I know that all this trouble may be worth something in the end.

Last edited by trueblu8; 12-12-2012 at 03:01 AM.
trueblu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

Freeze dried foods are the ones with no nutritional value. Frozen is supposed to be pretty good. If you can get him to eat pellets, that is much better as bloodworms are like treats.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Also, if you keep giving him treats he won't accept any pellets. My betta was on one kind of pellet for months before the dog ate them and since walmart was out of pellets, I could only get freeze-died bloodworms for a while. After that, he wouldn't eat the pellets at all for a few days. I eventually switched brands.
Make sure you don't get him into the treats all the time habit. I'd start offering pellets and nothing else. He will start to accept them eventually.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #15 
asukabetta

A varied diet is best, combine spectrum betta pellets with frozen foods, blood worms have low nutritional value to be an everyday food, it's more like candy for them.

High nutricious foods include frozen or live brine shrimp, daphnia and mysis shrimp :D

I feed my bettas some mysis, pellets and dried worms, as my axolotl eats them too, and I'm allergic to frozen/live blood worms

As for helping your betta:

Clean water with stable temp is fine for healing up a betta, :)

Seems like you are doing great :D
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #16 
trueblu8

Thanks. I'm going out to get some Spectrum Betta Pellets right now.

Surprisingly enough I do have both live brine shrimp and live daphnia. So if he doesn't go after the pellets right away I can feed those in between.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #17 
trueblu8

Thanks for recommending the new life spectrum guys. I can tell it's good quality stuff. And like the omega one you can either float or sink the pellets depending on whether you release them above or below the water. Those are the only two betta pellets I've found that you're able to do that with.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #18 
trueblu8

Well guys he still wasn't eating pellets as of yesterday and was looking a little weak so I fed him some live daphnia. I figure he can go for a few more days to a week now without eating again. I must say though it is frustrating that he won't even touch the pellets. Any ideas on how I can get him to try one? Or is it just a starvation thing, when he's hungry enough he will eat one? I've read of bettas actually dying this way though because they refused to eat the pellets. If he only knew how good they were for him.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #19 
callistra

soak omega one in garlic juice? You can also put your pinky in the tank in front of the pellet and wiggle it around like a worm and if he goes for it pull it out and let him have the pellet.. I've heard of it working.. I've never done it.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote