Betta Fish Forum banner

safety of colored gravel

608 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Kithy 
#1 ·
So Jack is having no health issues at all but I noticed that when I did my water change and vacuum today that there were a few little chips, maybe just the paint, from the gravel in the water. I got it all at the pet store and I have not seen this happen since I set up the tank a month ago and have done about a dozen partial water changes. Jack knows it's not food and he is not interested in eating it I was just curious if I should be concerned and change to a different gravel?

#4 ·
I read about doing it when I was setting my tank up but I didn't.

Truthfully, I decided to go with the round little pebbles rather than the aquarium gravel. I don't think the paint or chips coming off will hurt anything especially since he has no interest in eating it. My goldfish inhale everything in the water including floating waste and cat hair, all of which would get stirred up when I added water so I opted to remove it entirely.

#5 ·
I was considering the round pebbles for my next tank but as long as Jack is healthy I think I'll leave him alone, he seems to love the bright colors in his tank. I took out hsi plastic tree and tried a silk one and he got mopey. he pouted in his cave for 24 hours until I put his plastic plant back in LOL!

#7 · (Edited)
A lot of the gravel specifically says not to boil it on the bag. I don't think the color breaking down is really a problem, but that's the reason I generally go with naturally colored stones because after a while it doesn't look too nice. I do a lot of that rounded natural river rock stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.