Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #1 
Fishfresher88523

Exclamation emergency help!!!!!!!

I was just goin to sleep when i checked on my betta it had turned completely pale and wasnt moving but when i touched it a bit it moved. its in a 1g bowl with no heater and the temperature here is low around 15 C so i immediately took some hot water and poured it into his bowl but slowly to avoid sudden changes ... its 1 :30 in the night here then i put a pellet of food in its bowl which it ate reluctantly ..... to maintain the temp i put hot water in a big utensil and placed the betta bowl in it 15 mins later when i came to check on it he had suddenly become tooo active and was trying to get under a tube place in his bowl i got scared so i removed the tube ... he isnt coming up to the surface only and has become tooo violent someone help quickly please....
Fishfresher88523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You want to avoid sudden extreme temp changes-If you have a heated tank-place him in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp of at least 75-77F-Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity. If you don't have a heated tank or heater-use a light bulb over the water until you can get a heater. Be sure and use an independent thermometer to monitor water temps.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
Fish are cold blooded animals, and so their bodies are the same temperature as their surroundings. 15C is a very low temperature for a fish that needs around 27C. I don't think pouring in hot water was a good idea, even if you feel like you went slow with it, it may have been too much change for his little system to handle.
At this point, there really isn't much you can do. Change out 50% of the water, lower the water level so he can reach the surface more easily, and put a towel over the bowl so it's dark (to reduce stress).
Only time will tell if he will be able to pull through.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 
Fishfresher88523

i dont want him to die:( today he completed one month with me ..... but are you sure nothing i cant do anything but if i hadnt done anything would it have survived?? can cold water kill it in one night?
and if i do a 50% water change what should the temperature of the water be??
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You will want the temperature to match whatever it is at now. The cold water would have slowed him down a lot, but the shock of changing temperatures so much would take a bigger toll on him.
I'd say to get a heater for him as soon as you can.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

(I just typed a response, but I see that WAY more experienced people are currently replying to you. So I'm removing my comments, so they don't interfere with the far more experienced replies that you're getting.... But I hope that he survives this!)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 12-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #7 
Fishfresher88523

ok ive made the water change... but ive noticed his colour has brightened as compared to what he was when i saw him in the cold water do you think he'll make through the night??
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #8 
Fishfresher88523

little blue fish thanks for ur help ill let you know what happenes in the morning
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #9 
Fishfresher88523

omg the water is warm for my hand so its hot for the betta.... i shouldnt have done anything:(
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
(I just typed a response, but I see that WAY more experienced people are currently replying to you. So I'm removing my comments, so they don't interfere with the far more experienced replies that you're getting.... But I hope that he survives this!)
I read what you wrote and it was good, you shouldn't have removed it. Forums are a group learning experience and you shouldn't be afraid to comment just because others are, you did have a few points that we missed.