Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #11 
sunstar93

Sorry! Lol I meant that I alternate...I don't mix salt and meds because that would be even worse for him. I did the salt treatment for 10 days, waited two days and then today began another treatment of Maracide...I alternate so that I don't use them together. I feel bad for hitting him so hard with the treatments but it's just not getting better. (sorry for the confusion lol)
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #12 
callistra

Ah, I see. Maracide is malachite green which is usually effective. You can also throw a towel over the tank and keep the light out.. although that did me no good supposedly it helps. Also remember you can only kill the parasite in the stage where it is free swimming so maybe it hasn't hit that yet.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #13 
sunstar93

He's had a towel over him for a few weeks now, since it started (I blame myself). And I honestly don't even know when it is free swimming or not. I change the water every day to get rid of any parasites that may have dropped off...but I've been debating in whether to continue treatment. I know that sounds horrible but I don't know if that's really a quality of life, in the dark all the time, hit by either meds or salt, water changes every day. He can't have anything in there with him but a thermometer and heater and I just don't know what to do...but I guess as long as he keeps fighting I will keep trying to save him. He's survived death 3 times maybe he can beat this too!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #14 
sainthogan

Quick cure in combination with warm water and darkness has worked well for me. My girl cleared up in a little less than 2 weeks after I started treating her.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #15 
callistra

I wouldn't euthanize over Velvet. It's very very treatable. Malachite green is the strongest med you can use so it should work.. just give it time. Could easily take two weeks to a month so keep at it.. To be honest if he's already on week two I wouldn't keep switching off. I would stick with the Malachite green and knock it out once and for all, especially if you think he's struggling this much. My only hesitation with my betta is he really does act healthy.

Thanks Quick Cure with the Malachite green in it is effective and fast.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

My Betta has that brown or "rusty" like color to him with large gold spots on his fins and has for awhile. I didn't start treating him for velvet until he started flashing against tank ornaments, twitching, and having lethargic moments. This is why I'm not sure when to stop treating him.. He's been that color for a long time with no other behavioral symptoms.

Sorry to thread jack but does anyone understand the directions for quick cure? It says one drop per gallon and three daily treatments before changing the water or something? Did you build up to 3 drops then do a 100% change or did you just do one drop per gallon consistently with 100% daily water changes?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #17 
sunstar93

Yeah, Leo has rusty brown patches all over his gills and has eaten away his ventrals which were covered in rusty patches. He's not really lethargic as far as I know...and I know he scratches because as of now he's got bald patches on his face. Just discouraging that I've been treating him with Maracid for a whole month and no improvement... I dont wanna put him down if I can save him (but was just a thought in my discouragement). You have been a great help callistra....if you have any other tips I (and Leo) would very much appreciate it!!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #18 
callistra

He's been on maracide for a month? I'd say it's not velvet.. Can you share a photo? Also what tank size is he in, it is heated and/or filtered, how often/how much of a water change do you do? What do you add to the water?

Brown gills can also be nitrite poisoning..
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

I just thought of that. Could the brown discoloration of my betta be from a prolonged exposure to ammonia? I didn't previously know there was ammonia in my tap... I bought quick cure but now have decided not to use it... my bettas symptoms are very inconsistent.
Comparing your boys symptoms to mine, I'd say that we both may have misdiagnosed something... I agree that a month is probably too long. I would stop treatment.

Maybe they both have permanent discoloration, if that's even possible? I understand how difficult it is not knowing what it is... I posted a new thread about ammonia poisoning and discoloration so hopefully maybe someone will know. I would test your water parameters... Although all of mine came out to be 0 (or ammonia is almost 0.. it's really hard for me to read it). My nitrates look to be a little over 0, but nothing serious.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote