Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #21 
Prettyprada

I feed him about 2 or 3 pellets in the morning before I leave for class (9 a.m.) and then if he only ate 2 pellets in the morning, I'll feed him one more during my break (12 p.m.).

He used to be a hog and never stop eating (this was before I knew that they can be over fed). I only feed him a max of 3 now. But he sometimes won't eat anything at all... like today, he went to get the food but kept spitting it back out.

Also, I cleaned his tank again today and took the snail out (water was really foggy). He seems pretty active in his little temporary cup that he stays in while I clean. But no eating today :(

Oh, and no I haven't been able to get the testing kit yet. I hope to go tonight or tomorrow for sure. I'll get some different food as well.
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #22 
AyalaCookiejar

New Life Spectrum is the best, but is a little more expensive, and Omega One will be your second best bet. Sometimes they are just picky, and sometimes refusing to eat can be a symptom of something bigger.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #23 
Prettyprada

Well he is much more active today after his water change. He ate a pellet too! :) I'm guessing he is just being picky.

Again, I can't be thankful enough for all of the help and advice you all have given me!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #24 
AyalaCookiejar

Well, if he spits them out then he's probably just picky. I think there's more need to worry when they stop touching the pellets altogether. :) I'm glad he's doing better. You are welcome.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #25 
Prettyprada

Yeah I think that is what he keeps doing. Going after it and then spitting it out after chomping on it (or whatever he is doing in his mouth). I'll get him some of that Omega One food that you suggested :)
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #26 
mikylarsen

FYI.
Bigalspets.com has a Freshwater Master Test Kit on sale for $16.99.
Not sure how long the deal will last.
mikylarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Oh, good, considering I live close enough to big Al's I may also grab one
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #28 
uzanybug

Concern about Omega One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyprada View Post
I'll get him some of that Omega One food that you suggested :)
I read that the Ethoxyquin in Omega One is harmful to fish because it is a pesticide. I don't know if that's true or not. Does anyone know anything about that?

I've been feeding Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, which Finley loves, but I wanted to try to mix it up with some New Life Spectrum, because I've read good things about it having more fish meal and none of that Ethoxyquin.

Like others have said, he might just be adjusting. Finley took five days before he started making his first bubble nest. And now I have to destroy it with a water change <sigh>

Hi to Prada from Finley!

Last edited by uzanybug; 12-14-2012 at 10:33 PM.
uzanybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

Hmm.. I have never heard that before. Wikipedia:
Quote:
Ethoxyquin is a quinoline based antioxidant used as a food preservative and a pesticide (under commercial names such as "Stop-Scald"). It is commonly used as a preservative in pet foods to prevent the rancidification of fats. There has been some speculation that ethoxyquin in pet foods might be responsible for certain health problems. To date, the US FDA has only found a verifiable connection between ethoxyquin and buildup of protoporphyrin IX liver, as well as elevations in liver-related enzymes in some animals. It has been shown to cause mortality in fish.

It is also commonly used in spices to prevent color loss due to oxidation of the natural carotenoid pigments.
I read that it has caused death in dogs and really strange mutations at birth in cows...
I also read that it is in many different brands... But I guess it's not in the Aqueon brand. I have it so I will have to check the label for myself.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #30 
Prettyprada

Oh my word!!!! I just bought the omega one food.... -_- which one do I use to feed?!