Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #31 
callistra

Yeah, for external flukes it works but it takes a long time.. never seen one dose work. It would seem they're starting to become a bit resistant to it, because this wasn't the case a few years ago.

You're also right, most aquarium bacterial infections are gram negative, however most eye infections are gram positive.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #32 
Sakura8

Like strep? That's a gram positive. Staph too. Since erythro is a gram positive med, it should have worked at a double strength dosage. :/

What do you mean, "by one dose"? Like one recommended course (don't have the bottle with me, but say for example it says to treat 1 tsp per 10 gal for 5 days as its recommended course) or literally just one dose of meds and then never dosing again? (it's late and my brain is fuzzy so forgive me for being slow on the uptake)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #33 
rmarkham

have no problem doing several doses if I need too since it's a mild drug and won't harm my fish.

If I see no improvement I might try API trimeth-sulfa (bactrim) which is broad spectrum and will cover Gram pos and Gram neg. I could aslo get API Tetracycline which will also cover a broad spectrum.

I know that when looking at antibiotic resistance it's often the dosage that the patient can tolerate that limits the effectiveness of the drug. For example, you could pump someone full of Penicillin and kill the bacteria, but you might also kill the patient. Since I was doing a double dose, I really should have seen some sort of improvement if it was a gram positive infection.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #34 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Like strep? That's a gram positive. Staph too. Since erythro is a gram positive med, it should have worked at a double strength dosage. :/

What do you mean, "by one dose"? Like one recommended course (don't have the bottle with me, but say for example it says to treat 1 tsp per 10 gal for 5 days as its recommended course) or literally just one dose of meds and then never dosing again? (it's late and my brain is fuzzy so forgive me for being slow on the uptake)

I think that since it's not very strong/potent that the parasite will need to exposed to it for a continuos amount of time inorder to stop reproducing, and die.

I have no idea why I'm awake right now to be honest... I'm not even sure if what I'm writing makes any sense at this point.. heh.

I have the bottle with me, and the dose is 1tsp/20 gallons for 5-7 days but you can retreat after a water change after no less than 3 days. It also says that doubling the dose will not render it more effective.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #35 
callistra

Mostly staph I think. I don't know about double Erythryo vs. Kanamyacin.

Yeah by one round I mean the 5-7 days.. or roughly a week, and this includes an additional dose at day 3... Basically treating every 3 days for X number of weeks, and big water changes in between weeks. Usually it takes at least two rounds (or two weeks) but I've seen it take 3 to 4. I've never seen it fail past a month, unless the fish succumbed to the disease before the treatment took hold, which unfortunately can happen rather quickly in other fish without a labyrinth lung. :( It just seems like a slow med for some external problems (especially flukes) but it seems to work with time.

My bottle also says 1 tsp per 20 gal.

ETA: Tetracyline isn't worth much except for minor fin rot that could otherwise probably be helped by clean water and salt. It's just so overused anymore a lot of resistant to it, also fish really hate it.

Last edited by callistra; 12-15-2012 at 12:55 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #36 
Sakura8

Sounds like a plan, markham. Haha, I assume with your background I don't have to warn you about sulfa allergies like I usually do. Since I have a sulfa allergy myself, I always try to warn anyone who is going to use Triple Sulfa.

EDIT: Thanks for clarifying for me, Callistra. Yeah, it will work but it probably isn't the most effective med for external parasites. But since it will target both internal and external, it's a good choice for now.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #37 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Mostly staph I think. I don't know about double Erythryo vs. Kanamyacin.

Yeah by one round I mean the 5-7 days.. or roughly a week, and this includes an additional dose at day 3... Basically treating every 3 days for X number of weeks, and big water changes in between weeks. Usually it takes at least two rounds (or two weeks) but I've seen it take 3 to 4. I've never seen it fail past a month, unless the fish succumbed to the disease before the treatment took hold, which unfortunately can happen rather quickly in other fish without a labyrinth lung. :( It just seems like a slow med for some external problems (especially flukes) but it seems to work with time.

Hmmm, at least where I work and we see a large variety of patients, most strains of Staph species are susceptible to Erythro, unless you have an MRSA or some of the Coag Neg Staphs can get ugly, but I digress.

I didn't know to add the extra dose at day 3, that's good to know!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #38 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Sounds like a plan, markham. Haha, I assume with your background I don't have to warn you about sulfa allergies like I usually do. Since I have a sulfa allergy myself, I always try to warn anyone who is going to use Triple Sulfa.

EDIT: Thanks for clarifying for me, Callistra. Yeah, it will work but it probably isn't the most effective med for external parasites. But since it will target both internal and external, it's a good choice for now.
That sucks! I had to rack my brain, but I have taken a sulfa drug before.. so I won't have some horrific reaction... that would be a horribly funny way to find out though... Um.. Doc, I was giving my fish drugs.. and had an allergic reaction.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #39 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post

ETA: Tetracyline isn't worth much except for minor fin rot that could otherwise probably be helped by clean water and salt. It's just so overused anymore a lot of resistant to it, also fish really hate it.

ALSO good to know!! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #40 
Sakura8

An aquatic MRSA could potentially be disastrous for the food fish industry.

EDIT: Yes, I agree about the tetracycline. I'd try the Sulfa first.

Yeah, I was like in 4th grade when I was given a sulfa drug for a cough. Got a horrible rash and my throat closed up within 24 hours. o.O Finding out you have an allergy while dosing your fish would definitely not be fun, eh?

Tags
cloudy eye, eye, swollen eye