Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It should be fine...just watch for condensation buildup...as long as you see little of that it should be fine-Its more important if the room is cool/dry to start.
Well the room is cold and dry, but there is always lots of condensation on the lid. I was just worried that he doesn't have enough air space between the water and lid...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

So is it okay that theres only 1/4 to 1/2 inch of air space between the water surface and lid?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
So is it okay that theres only 1/4 to 1/2 inch of air space between the water surface and lid?
If the tank is at least 1gal-that should be fine-that would be enough dead air space for gas exchange...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
If the tank is at least 1gal-that should be fine-that would be enough dead air space for gas exchange...
My tank is 5 gallons. Does that mean it can have less than 1/4 inch?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Disregard my last post. My real question is: what is the minimum amount of air space between the lid and water surface needed in a 5 gallon tank for a betta? I am also curious about 2.5 gallons as well. Thanks :)
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

For 2.5g and 5gal...at least 1/4-1/2 inch dead air space..
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
For 2.5g and 5gal...at least 1/4-1/2 inch dead air space..
Im sorry I have trouble understanding words sometimes... So a 1/4 inch is perfectly fine? Thanks for being patient with me.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Im sorry I have trouble understanding words sometimes... So a 1/4 inch is perfectly fine? Thanks for being patient with me.
Your welcome and Correct....

Your goal when using plastic veggie wrap is to help retain the heat and humidity over the water for the labyrinth organ. As long as you have some dead air space between the water and wrap-you don't need to worry about the Betta not having enough air-They are small fish and don't use that much anyway-plus, every time you lift a corner to feed, make water changes...etc at least once a day....this allows for the needed gas exchange. Not to mention it most likely won't be an air tight seal-due to any cords.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Your welcome and Correct....

Your goal when using plastic veggie wrap is to help retain the heat and humidity over the water for the labyrinth organ. As long as you have some dead air space between the water and wrap-you don't need to worry about the Betta not having enough air-They are small fish and don't use that much anyway-plus, every time you lift a corner to feed, make water changes...etc at least once a day....this allows for the needed gas exchange. Not to mention it most likely won't be an air tight seal-due to any cords.
Okay. Thank you very much OFL. :)

Tags
christmas suggestions, filters, heaters