Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #31 
uzanybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Hmm.. I have never heard that before. Wikipedia:

I read that it has caused death in dogs and really strange mutations at birth in cows...
I also read that it is in many different brands... But I guess it's not in the Aqueon brand. I have it so I will have to check the label for myself.
Thanks for sharing that Wikipedia lookup. That sounds awful. I have a soft heart for all living creatures. There's so much danger with pet foods that aren't safe. It seems like there have been quite a few dog food recalls in the US. Fish lovers unite! Demand safe food for your fish.
Aqueon is supposed to be pretty nutritious. The Bio-Gold floats, which seemed like a big selling point to avoid leftover food on the bottom. That turned out to not be so important, because the pellets never even hit the water with Finley. He jumps up and takes one when it comes into the air above him. No joke.
uzanybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #32 
AyalaCookiejar

Aqueon is better than some. I started out with Tetra Betta, then Aqueon, now Omega One... Possibly back to Aqueon. I wonder if its in NLS? Aqueon is OK, but its not the best. It still has more fillers than Omega One and not as good main ingredients.

I wonder if the Omega One pellets are causing all the trouble with my VT starting on Wednesday since I got the pellets on Sunday... Ugh. I just can't figure out what else it could be...

I read that someone looked up the ingredients in several types of food and found that Aqueon is the only one that didn't contain it... But still, I doubt they looked at ALL of them. Only 3 or 4 I think.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #33 
uzanybug

Betta Food Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Hmm.. I have never heard that before. Wikipedia:
Ethoxyquin is a quinoline based antioxidant used as a food preservative and a pesticide (under commercial names such as "Stop-Scald"). It is commonly used as a preservative in pet foods to prevent the rancidification of fats. There has been some speculation that ethoxyquin in pet foods might be responsible for certain health problems. To date, the US FDA has only found a verifiable connection between ethoxyquin and buildup of protoporphyrin IX liver, as well as elevations in liver-related enzymes in some animals. It has been shown to cause mortality in fish.

It is also commonly used in spices to prevent color loss due to oxidation of the natural carotenoid pigments.

I read that it has caused death in dogs and really strange mutations at birth in cows...
I also read that it is in many different brands... But I guess it's not in the Aqueon brand. I have it so I will have to check the label for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyprada View Post
Oh my word!!!! I just bought the omega one food.... -_- which one do I use to feed?!
Sorry to raise this concern after you already went and bought the Omega One! If it were me, I'd see if Prada will take the Aqueon. My fish didn't like it very much, but it's got pretty good ingredients. Oldfishlady posted in one of the forums suggesting to member to try feeding a variety of quality foods because each store-bought food has different nutrients. Oldfishlady makes her own food....spinach, shrimp, garlic and supplements with mosquito larvae and other "prey" food, I think. You could probably search on spinach and find her recipe. I think the spinach has to be blanched first. She has many, many fish to feed. We don't.

Here's some info online that seemed to be good/ reliable. It's a scientific discussion of fish food, but the author makes it easy by "scoring" the different foods. It was posted fairly recently and seems up to date.

http://www.aqcenter.net/topic/510-th...-of-fish-food/

I created a betta food quality spreadsheet because some of the "scores" are buried in the comments and not in easy to follow order. Wish I could post it, but it comes out a mess because all the data cells go away.

Last edited by uzanybug; 12-14-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #34 
Prettyprada

Well I'll just keep using the Aqueon for now... You guys let me know of you figure out a better more nutritional food!
Wish I could make my own... But alas, I have a tight schedule as is :/
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #35 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't know if its much to worry about.. Read this article:
http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?opt...1&limitstart=5

Also states that New Life Spectrum doesn't have it along with others even though it may be listed in the ingredients? The reasoning is clear. They tested it on rats in high doses. It's like sunlight in high doses. It may or may not cause skin cancer.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #36 
uzanybug

Here's a handy chart rating/ranking betta foods

Thought some folks might find the ATTACHED file helpful, because it's much easier to read than the long, scientific article. Note that this chart ranks on general nutrition and doesn't screen out by potentially controversial ingredients like Ethoxyquin. However, if I have info that Ethoxyquin is in a food, I note it on the chart.

BUT....

I'm new...VERY new at this. It seems there is lots of conflicting, confusing info out there. It's a good idea to question, learn, and judge for yourself. The source (http://www.aqcenter.net/topic/510-th...-of-fish-food/) looked good to me and mirrored some of the experts that I started to think aren't just shills for one fish food company versus another. I am just beginning learning about bettas, and hope this chart might be helpful/ useful to you guys.

The chart is saved as a ZIP file of a PDF that's attached to this message. I have to go for now, but PM me, if you need help with the attachment.

And, please feel free to introduce yourselves -- I posted an "I'm new here" message in the Meet the Betta Keepers forum and I'd love to "meet" new betta lovers!

Hoping for happy, happy bettas for us all!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Betta food ranked by healthfulness.zip (41.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by uzanybug; 12-15-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #37 
AyalaCookiejar

The article itself only rates flakes but he does add all the Betta pellets in the comments. (Sorry my phone won't let me open the attached file.)
Quote:
Attison Betta Pro-7.5
New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets-10
Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets-8.5
NutraFin Max Color Enhancing Betta Flake Food-6
TopFin Color Enhancing Betta Bites-2.5
HBH Betta Bites-4.5
Aquarian Floating Pellet Food for Bettas-3
Aqueon Betta Pellets-8
BettaMin Tropical Medley-3
TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets-1.5
Wardley Premium Betta Food-4.5
It's already in order that I figured it would, judging on the first ingredients. NLS, OmegaOne, Aqueon, then Tetra Betta (I know I skipped a few but thats the crappy Walmart brand I had to start with since they sell nothing else here.)

I don't know if NLS has it but its the best, according to this article and most of the members here. The stores must also know it because its pretty expensive. It's also hard to tell how much Ethoxyquin is in some of the foods because it seems its the very last ingredient in most.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #38 
Myates

Atison's, Omega One, NLS are pretty much the top common/readily available pellet food out there. Just as long as the first ingredient isn't a grain/wheat then it should be fine.

Atison's Pro is no longer available, but they make a regular pellet food which is real good.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #39 
Prettyprada

Thanks for all the info, y'all! :)
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote