Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Exclamation Tail Biting D:

I always notice my red veiltail, Zuko, having shreds on the end of his tail. I've been researching because i'm worried about him and it seems like it's tail biting but i have NEVER seen him bite his tail... i have medicine that heals it fast but then he will bite it eventually; right when i thought he stopped for good! my dad smoothed all the items in his 2.5gal tank and they are completely betta safe, but why would he be doing this??
Attached Images

bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

100'000'000 different reasons. Mine did that because he was bored. Then he did not like his tankmate (divided tank), then he did not like the constant traffic. Now he is in a 1 gallon, in a heated fish room, which is visited by me only, two to three times a day. He stopped biting

Boredom
Stress
Sickness
Too much traffic
Not enough traffic
Tankmate
No tankmate
sight of another betta
Cold water
Diet

The list goes on.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 
babystarz

Fish tend to tail bite for two reasons, stress or boredom. If he's not exhibiting any signs of stress, he might benefit from more stimulation. You could give him a ping pong ball to see if he likes to play with it, and give him a mirror to flare at a couple of times a week, and move around his tank decor/buy him new items once in a while so the scenery changes.

There is also a slightly less common reason, which is a heavy tail. His is big and long enough that it could bug him, but since the nips aren't too bad I doubt this is it. Usually the bettas with this problem will hack their tails off as far as they can.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 
bettaluver14

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Fish tend to tail bite for two reasons, stress or boredom. If he's not exhibiting any signs of stress, he might benefit from more stimulation. You could give him a ping pong ball to see if he likes to play with it, and give him a mirror to flare at a couple of times a week, and move around his tank decor/buy him new items once in a while so the scenery changes.

There is also a slightly less common reason, which is a heavy tail. His is big and long enough that it could bug him, but since the nips aren't too bad I doubt this is it. Usually the bettas with this problem will hack their tails off as far as they can.
wow! yeah i was nervous getting the idea it was boredom and stress from the research.. i just removed his red plant and bridge and replaced it with a neon cave and he loves the cave and sleeps in it. so the scenery is changed. Should i just try to visit him more often? and a ping pong ball?!?! how do they play with those?!?!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #5 
bettaluver14

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
100'000'000 different reasons. Mine did that because he was bored. Then he did not like his tankmate (divided tank), then he did not like the constant traffic. Now he is in a 1 gallon, in a heated fish room, which is visited by me only, two to three times a day. He stopped biting

Boredom
Stress
Sickness
Too much traffic
Not enough traffic
Tankmate
No tankmate
sight of another betta
Cold water
Diet

The list goes on.
well, you should probably get him/her into a 2.5+gal tank lol cause it's kinda mean to keep them in that small of a bowl/tank. and yah he has a heater and all the other things besides stress and boredom i know arent the causes... i can't tell when a fish is stressed/bored...... well i guess now i can. should i be more interactive w/ him now?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluver14 View Post
wow! yeah i was nervous getting the idea it was boredom and stress from the research.. i just removed his red plant and bridge and replaced it with a neon cave and he loves the cave and sleeps in it. so the scenery is changed. Should i just try to visit him more often? and a ping pong ball?!?! how do they play with those?!?!
Yes visiting him would be great, I'm sure that's exciting for him. Some bettas like to push ping pong balls around :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 
bettaluver14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Yes visiting him would be great, I'm sure that's exciting for him. Some bettas like to push ping pong balls around :)
THAT'S SO ADORABLE!!! but the betta won't jump out/try to jump out of the tank if i put the ball in right?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
Kithy

Every fishie is different but usually any kind of stimulation is good. Taking certain things out they don't seem to care for or some bettas like the mancala beads you can buy at the store. Some play with those moss balls. All sorts of things ^^
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Um, you know that was rather offensive. He was in a 5 gallon and bit more. 1 gallon is no bad if you keep up the water changes. Last time I offer to help anyone on here -.- GREAT breeders and keepers on here have 1-40 gallons. Next time choose your words wisely.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #10 
bettaluver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Um, you know that was rather offensive. He was in a 5 gallon and bit more. 1 gallon is no bad if you keep up the water changes. Last time I offer to help anyone on here -.- GREAT breeders and keepers on here have 1-40 gallons. Next time choose your words wisely.
it wasn't offensive, it you took it offensive then sorry... just the truth you don't have to make a fit about it
and oh yeah, i am a great keeper too so keep that in mind. thanks for the advice ;)