Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Question Gets startled..

My red male veiltail is perfectly happy and healthy... but he gets scared really easily! He currently lives in a 2.5gal rectangular tank that is on my dresser next to my window(to get natural sunlight) with a neon cave, gravel, thermometer,leaf bed, mini octopus holding a "no fishing" sign, heater and filter. he is always very active and is the sweetest. i always open and close the dresser drawers the most quietest and peaceful way so he doesn't get startled and he's fine. But then if i accidently hit the dresser with my elbow, he darts fast like he got scared/startled! I don't know if he is just scared easily, if it's normal or he has something wrong.... help?
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 
bettaluver14

Unhappy

I'm a huge animal luver and am a proud vegetarian... but i still drink milk and stuff.... and i really care and i don't want anything to happen to any of my animals. my friends say so what, just flush it, he is just a stupid fish. ----- exact quote from one of my friends
i would appreciate it if someone could help..
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Well if there's a sudden unexpected noise I jump so I'd say its pretty normal for a fish to do the same. If I feel the earth suddenly move as in an earthquake it startles me so if you bump his aquarium or the dresser that's the equivalent of an earthquake IMO.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 
bettaluver14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Well if there's a sudden unexpected noise I jump so I'd say its pretty normal for a fish to do the same. If I feel the earth suddenly move as in an earthquake it startles me so if you bump his aquarium or the dresser that's the equivalent of an earthquake IMO.
okay i was getting nervous but now that you mention it it does sound like common sense... thank you so much!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sometimes we get worried & common sense goes out the window, its happened to me more than once. :-0
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 
bettaluver14

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Sometimes we get worried & common sense goes out the window, its happened to me more than once. :-0
yeah i hate that lol what goes on in the brain... oh can you help me with my tail biting thread?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #7 
homegrown terror

it's just a natural response to sudden movement of the water. think of their original habitat: sudden loud noise + water swishing around could very well be an ox or water buffalo wading through the pond, and any fish would want to hide so as not to be trampled. i'd be surprised if he DIDN'T hide after something like that, but then come out fine once it's gone.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote