Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #1 
AlphaBetta1

Betta hostility

A few hours ago I introduced my 3 Peppered Cory Cats into my 10 gal which contains my male Betta. He continues to flare at them and chase them around, is this just him getting used to them, or should I be worried? How long will he continue this?
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 
Irishdancer

Bettas are aggressive, especially the males. They'll really be a lot better if you get a second tank for the Corys.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would've taken him out, did a little re-arranging, put the Cory's in, wait a few hrs then re-introduce him. Having said that as Irishdancer said some are just aggressive. He may. To be able to have tank mates. I'd keep a close eye on it, you don't want him constantly stressed or the Cory's.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #4 
sunstar93

I agree with shellieca. When I introduced my cories to my betta's tank, I rearranged the tank and put the cories in first so they could kinda find their place before adding my betta. But then again I also have a betta who let a ghost shrimp hitch a ride on his back..he chased them a little, just to see what they would do, but now he seems to enjoy having them around.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #5 
veggiegirl

Hey,

I think it would be better to keep the betta and cory's separate. I always think that bettas are happier if kept in their own tank without other fish. Also cory's are lovely little fish but I have found that catfish in general are rather messy and produce alot of waste, bettas are rather prone to bacterial infections and therefore they are not a good mix. I am sure there are people that would disagree but from my personal experience that is my opinion. If you have another tank avaliable or can buy one I think the betta and cory's would be happier in separate tanks
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I think the betta and the cories are just fine together, actually. 99% of people I know, who have these species together, have great results. 1% can disagree.

Not all bettas are solitary. They actually are social, believe it or not. Rearranging the decor, after removing the betta, and perhaps giving the cories more to hide under and in would be the best way to go, then reintroduce him. Whenever adding fish to a betta's domain, you need to remove the betta, and rearrange items to ensure it is no longer his territory and he has to accept the other fish, and make a new territory.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote