Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Where do you get plants in the winter?

I need to get more plants for my 2 10 gals. Issue is most companies wont ship, or wont stand by the guarentee after the temp falls below 35ish degrees. I tried it, spent $50, lost 90% of the plants from that shipment :/ ...does anyone order plants in the winter, what company seems to work well for plant shipments in the colder weather? Will companys hot pack per request for an extra fee?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #2 
aemaki09

On aquabid there are a lot of sellers that will ship with heat packs. Sometimes its for an additional cost, others its already included. Mikeswetpets is who I try to always buy from, hes really well priced and is very helpful, fast, ships with heat packs, and always includes a care-sheet with his packages.
If you dont want to go that route, then most Fish Stores do sell some plants, but not nearly as much variety as you'd find online, and you will have to research before you buy because they put non-aquatic species with their aquatic generally.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 
babystarz

The best chance you can give the plants is to buy locally and pick them up, whether that's from a local fish store or a hobbyist. Next best thing is to order from a seller as close to you as possible, and get a 72 hour heat pack included.

I will simply not order plants if it's going to be less than 20 degrees here. Heat packs only do so much, and I don't expect anything to survive if the outside temp dips too far below freezing. It's a great idea to order a good bulk stock of fast growers, so you can propagate shoots for yourself.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Locally really is best. If I need plants I wait until it is warmer (for me 10 degrees Celsius and lower is too low). Like someone already mentioned AB might be able to work. Overseas I would avoid.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote