Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #11 
aemaki09

Heres some suggestions--stuff that have worked in my tanks without co2 and low/moderate light
Amazon frogbit, vallisneria* sp?, water wisteria, anarchis, java fern, java moss, rotala indica, money wort, anubias, cabomba, bacopa, aquatic banana, morimo moss balls, amazon sword, and giant duckweed.
I also had some riccia and pellia in them but they are really messy so I moved them into spare tanks.
Hornwort and water sprite would work too!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
...a new incandescent bulb for my light hood ...
For plants, it's better to use a florescent bulb with a color temperature of 6500 Kelvin. Three watts per gallon will let you grow nearly anything.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #13 
carbonxxkidd

Yeah I actually meant fluorescent (always get the two mixed up) I still need to buy one though, right now I have a kitchen and bath bulb in there lol. Is it okay that my hood only holds one bulb? The hood sits directly on top of the cover glass.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #14 
carbonxxkidd

I brought the tank home today. Now I get to sit and look at an empty tank for at least a week while my supplies get here. It's killing me already, and it hasn't even been home an hour, lol.

My substrate will be here probably by next Friday. I had to order a new Eheim filter today too, because my old one wasn't cleaned properly and is basically shot, unfortunately. BUT a brand new filter is on it's way, and I didn't even have to pay for it -THANKS MOM!!!! I think she's as excited about this tank as I am. So, hopefully the filter will come around the same time as the substrate. I am also planning on ordering plants from plantedaquariumscentral.com, because apparently they are really good. I was thinking about starting off with the 20 gal plant starter kit, and possibly adding a couple extras. I will probably order plants the day my substrate arrives, and hopefully my filter will be here by the time the plants arrive. I also bought a new light bulb for the fixture today, it's a 20w, 6500K fluorescent. I'm hoping that is going to work.

Here are a couple pictures of my empty tank:

Now I have to sit and be patient! I made the mistake of looking at female bettas at Petco yesterday, and there was this absolutely gorgeous, almost opal colored one that I almost went back and bought today. I really need to wait and try really hard not to look until I'm ready to add the girls! This is going to be so tough, lol.

Another random question - what is the best way to seed the tank? I am in the process of cycling my little 5 gallon right now, but my mom has a tank that has been up and running for 12+ years. She is due for a cleaning, and was planning on giving me some of the nasty brown water she siphons out with the gravel vac as well as some of her filter media - will this work??

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 12-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good idea to cycle your 5g. I hope you mean a fishless cycle.

Using filter media and surface gravel from your Mom's established tank will give you a head start. Put it in or near your filter. That "nasty brown water" doesn't contain as much nitrifying bacteria as you may think. It might also contain other things which are not so helpful. You want to try to espablish a large healthy colony of nitrifying bacteria which you can transfer to your 29g when you set it up.

Get plants, substrate and filter foam into that 5g. Use lots of flow (you do have a filter now, yes?) High temperature (>82*) and aeration (using a sponge filter or airstone.) To feed the bacteria use pure ammonia (that doesn't foam when shaken), available from ACE hardware or Dr Tim's or Amazon online.

When it comes time to build the 29g, you can transfer your filter and other things in there for a virtually instant cycle.

Btw, that is an unusual and good-looking tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #16 
carbonxxkidd

Unfortunately, the 5g I am referring to is the divided one I'm having issues cycling right now (in my Cycling Woes thread). I had one of my fish when I bought the tank, and added the other right away. Wasn't patient enough, so I'm going to try really hard to do the 29g right.

My mom is one of those people who periodically replaces her filter floss, so I am just going to try and see if she will give me that, or at least part of it. She has the same Eheim filter that I will have, so it should work out great. If she gives me gravel too, should I put that in some panty hose or something and hold it by the filter intake? How long should I wait after starting it up and seeding it with her filter media to add fish? Or should I go by test results?

I am currently trying to buff out a bunch of scratches from the 29g using toothpaste. I had this tank set up with I was younger, middle school I think, and did not do a very good job with scrubbing algae off the sides from the looks of it. Hopefully the toothpaste will do the trick. The scratches are really apparent with the 6500K light on there.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #17 
mattoboy

Tanks looking good! Keep it up!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #18 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I really like moneywort but three things I'd recommend is make sure the plant are stuck in the substrate well the first time and cut off any brown spots on the plant. I've learned both those things the hard way. Also never add fish in until your 100% ready.

And that is an awesome tank!
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #19 
Hopeseeker

About planted aquariums central:

If you put in the coupon code BETTAFISH (all caps), you get 10% off. I have bought quite a bit from her in the last few months. Plants are always in top shape and arrive fast. She even adds extra plants most of the time. She works with you if there are any problems, too. I have no complaints, at all!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #20 
Silverfang

I have a 29 tall sorority myself. 9 females, 6 panda corries, 1 BN pleco, 1 nerite, and several apple snails. Planted gives you so much more leeway with stocking.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon, community tank, planted aquarium, sorority