Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 
DormDrax

Dual Male in the 10gal: *sweat drop* Lemme Explain!

*fanning self*

It's been awhile everybody...

Since my dear Janus has always been a lazy BETTA always toyed with the idea of trying out the taboo of two males living without a screen.

*sighs*

My dream crumbled within an hour... Magus didn't see it coming.

Magus, my new blue/metal (he's overly shiny) delta half-moon had been ignoring Janus (my shy large red double tail) and everything seemed fine for awhile when suddenly...

*sighs again*
Janus grew a spine and slowly began shadowing Magus while flaring. The filter caught Janus' tail and threw him into Magus and... Well you can imagine the rest as several strips of blue fluttered down.

I got Magus out and put him into my new Goldfish tank *waves a hand defending* it's colder but my room is very warm and in the low 70s so temp is no issue with Tynamo and Thisby (my two snail eater goldfish lol). It's a 2gal hex tank with filter, I clean it every few days since I know goldies poop a lot.

So attack all you want but at least I tried *shrugs* I'm done with school for the winter so I thought I'd experiment.

Kinda wondering if maybe I broke them up too soon... *ponders* maybe Janus was just showing whose boss... *shrugs* I may try again eventually ... And don't call me cruel *chuckles* that was terrifying watching them interacting seemingly harmlessly for awhile... Hoping the first strike isn't for the head or eye. Anyway that's all that's new from my end...

Kinda frightening though how my lazy Janus turned into this prowler... His large black eyes just watching Magus... Slowly swimming up to him.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 
DiiQue

From what I've read, bettas as we know them to be, are extremly aggressive and territorial. You may get away wih it for a while, maybe get lucky and have a few hours, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Unless you can keep a constant vigil (24x7), which I doubt you'd be able to do (especially when sleep calls), I'd just go the divider route so you wouldn't have to worry about this thing happening. Just my two cents fwiw.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I don't understand this post at all.

Please don't ever try this again. Male bettas are extremely territorial and aggressive fish and it is only in very rare circumstances that they would be able to share the same tank. Even then one will usually end up being harassed or bullied by the more dominant fish, and even if there isn't any outright physical attacks the constant stress is not good.

Also two goldfish in a 2 gallon tank is massively overstocking. Depending on the kind of goldfish they could need up to a 100 gallon tank. Also low 70s is not a high enough temperature for a tropical fish like a betta. You really need to move him into a better tank as if there is no heater in your goldfish tank the temperature is going to be fluctuating by at least a few degrees over the course of 24 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if your betta ends up sick or worse because of it.

Honestly why even post this on a forum dedicated to the care of bettas? Just to get a reaction? Why would you even think of trying to house them together at some future date? Giving them time is not going to miraculously change the instincts that have been hardwired into them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i agree with lbfish. so irresponsible. you trolling?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I don't understand this post at all.

Please don't ever try this again. Male bettas are extremely territorial and aggressive fish and it is only in very rare circumstances that they would be able to share the same tank. Even then one will usually end up being harassed or bullied by the more dominant fish, and even if there isn't any outright physical attacks the constant stress is not good.

Also two goldfish in a 2 gallon tank is massively overstocking. Depending on the kind of goldfish they could need up to a 100 gallon tank. Also low 70s is not a high enough temperature for a tropical fish like a betta. You really need to move him into a better tank as if there is no heater in your goldfish tank the temperature is going to be fluctuating by at least a few degrees over the course of 24 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if your betta ends up sick or worse because of it.

Honestly why even post this on a forum dedicated to the care of bettas? Just to get a reaction? Why would you even think of trying to house them together at some future date? Giving them time is not going to miraculously change the instincts that have been hardwired into them.

It was an experiment.

And no, they are tiny goldfish 1inch.

And I posted, because it was something I did and I'm not going to just take down the thread. It was wrong and I'll get a small heater tomorrow or return Magus, it will depend on many Factors.

But I'm not the type start fighting over silly matters, I admit it was a cruel experiment.

Sorry the post made no sense to you... I write differently
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #6 
isochronism

I agree with DQ, Little, & Sandy. Janus had his OWN established territory. Even trying two in a tank new to both is a no-no!! I will at least say that Dorm had the... ****s... (gills) to admit his juvenile mistake here, so he shows (maybe) "some" character. :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #7 
DiiQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
I agree with DQ, Little, & Sandy. Janus had his OWN established territory. Even trying two in a tank new to both is a no-no!! I will at least say that Dorm had the... ****s... (gills) to admit his juvenile mistake here, so he shows (maybe) "some" character. :)
Come on guys, no need to be aggressive here. I've seen troll posts before and can get a pretty good read when I see one and I dont think Dorm is a troller. He's been around these forums for a while now and trollers usually hit and run. He had an honest question/s and I think he got the answers he/she was looking for.

Lets keep the character assassinations where they belong ---- away from this forum.

Peace all!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #8 
WhiskeyHands

and now children, you know.
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #9 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
Thank you.

I mean Janus struck once, not like I let them fight for five minutes while laughing menicially while stroking a white cat. I panicked and tapped the tank to startle them then netted Magus. Oddly enough he seems to like the back up tank and my goldfish and he's eaten and fluttering around happily.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #10 
isochronism

I't at least he is telling us not to do it. Tho, considering to maybe try it again someday... (???)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote