Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

i hav to read a poem on stage at school & im freaking out?!?

On tuesday i hav to read a poem in front of a bunch of people on stage at school. i have zero social skills and i can barely even talk to people, let alone read a poem on stage in front of them. i dont rly know the point of this thread, my mom wont let me stay home from school. i guess i just need advice? im in 10th grade
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Rehearse it in front of a mirror. Then, with family. When you are on the stage, if you have to, close your eyes first. Take deep breaths and do NOT think about the people. Look at the paper. Pretend you are in front of that mirror, just rehearsing. It is hard, but you can do it :) deep breaths, speak loud, slowly and clearly (as if no one is listening)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 
Laki

Rescue Remedy. It helped me prepare for presentations. Also, it helps to not look at the people you are in front of. They will not attack you, or laugh at you either. Just rehearse it, like Sena suggested. The most awkward thing you'll have to do is read it for someone you know, like your family and friends. Trust me, you think it would be easier but I have done 3-4 interviews with family members and friends for my folklore degree and turning off the informal and turning on the formal really is uncomfortable. So, when you read your poem to your family a few times I know it will be easier to read it in school. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Thank you so much guys! I will defenitely do that!

The poem that I use can be written by myself or a poem by someone else. The only problem is that if the poem is written by someone else, we have to memorize it and I think it would be both awkward and more difficult if I cant hold a paper while I recite the poem.

She wanted us to choose a poem that has meaning to us, so I wanted a poem based on shelter animals. i wrote this in like 10 minutes.. so please give me your opinion on it. If you think it is bad then please tell me bc im not a writer and I wont be offended haha. Im not so sure that I like how lines 5-8 all have the same rhyming sound... hmm.. anyways tell me what you think please.

An old dog lies on a cold, hard, kennel floor.
You said you wanted a puppy, you wanted more.
So you dropped him off here,
to a shelter that reaks of fear.
They can smell what is coming their way,
The euthanasia room is where they will lay.
One by one the dogs are taken away,
They are put down and will never see another day.
The sad part is, that new puppy you've got,
This is how his life will end, poor little spot.
All they did was grow up,
Their crime was not being a pup.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Focus on what you're reading and try to tune everyone else out. I do that when I'm performing in a dinner theater. Sometimes I'm so focused on my lines that I forget people are even there watching.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

P.S. I am trying to think of a title....
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 
Laki

Aw wow. That poem is sad. Add in a stanza about spaying and neutering, to give the poem a sense of being able to help, rather than feeling guilt. I like it. It was powerful.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #8 
isochronism

That is REALLY well written!!!! Be very proud of it!! If I had to read that, I'd be tearing up half way through, and I'm grown up :) Laki, very good point!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #9 
thekinetic

First off it has a very interesting composition two couplets followed by a quatrain and then two couplets. Nice!

As for a title how about "Forgotten", it seems to go along with the over all tone of the poem.

Now public speaking is never easy just change the way your mind thinks about it. Don't dread it, look forward to it and tell yourself "everyone will love me and my poem". Try to inspire confidence in yourself and you'll do just fine. ^_^
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #10 
isochronism

In fourth grade we had to one by one, pick a song to sing solo in front of the class. My best friend and I waited till the very end, saying we weren't ready yet. He went second to last and sang "shoo Fly" crying all the way through. After that it was much easier for me and I have no idea what I sang :) HA
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote