Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Sterilite containers/ bins

I've noticed that many people seem to keep their betta(s) in sterilite containers or other plastic bins and don't seem to have a problem. But wouldn't the plastic leach out harmful chemicals?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 
callistra

That's a good question. I've seen lab tests that prove they do leach.. tested water inside them. I've also seen bettas take sudden nose dives and not recover after being placed in them. Still, some people seem to use them without problems.

I know when they are new you can SMELL the leaching process. After a while they air out and lose that smell. Maybe after some time they become safer and more stable? I don't know. All I know is I'd never gamble my betta's life in one.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #3 
mattoboy

I've never had problems with Rubbermaid bins and containers :)
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #4 
Jessa24

When are they putting them in these plastic bins? And for how long? I put Splash in a plastic bin when I am cleaning his tank but it's BPA free and I never wash it with soap, I just rinse it with warm water. And he's only in there for a short time.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 
mattoboy

I kept my female plakat in a rubbermaid 3.5 gallon for about 2.5 years without any problems :) I've heard rubbermaid are better than sterilite though.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Yeah and most people who do use them seem to be fine....Personally I wouldn't want to use one because I really like standard glass aquariums, but I have just been curious about this....Maybe you just need to rinse it out and air it out a lot before using it?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 
mattoboy

I really like glass aquariums too - they look real nice when you get proper flourescent lighting going too, but unfortunetly when you're 14, its not always the easiest thing making money to buy glass :( haha!

Matt
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #8 
Myates

Rubbermaid is a safe and cheap way to keep fish.. they are approved to hold animals and they don't leech out chemicals (most have to be graded for food safe).
Sterilite is used (Walmart brand), but is a bit more prone to crack.. Rubbermaid doesn't as easily. Just make sure not to fill it too full of water is all.

MANY breeders and people who keep a lot of bettas use them - cheap and safe to use. If they weren't safe, they wouldn't be used in the numbers they are. Have yet to ever hear of a death due to any chemicals being leeched - the only dangers is people using soap to clean them and leaving residue, or had stored items in there that if not washed properly, could be a danger.
But a brand new tub cleaned out real well with clean water is safe.

(Granted, like all containers AND tanks, something could of gone a bit awry at the processing plant and something could of been sprayed into the tank/tub..)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #9 
Sabina88

Ive heard that sterilite is a good brand and is safe for fish since its safe for food, ive seen and am curently using them for aquarentine tanks.
Ive also heard that rubbermaid is pretty good too.
Though im not sure about long term, but maby if you replace them every year or two that might be ok.
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote