Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #1 
Simpleflossi

Tail biting or fin rot?

Hello everyone,

I had a perfectly healthy and very Hansom male Betta, until one morning I woke up and he looked like this (this is a picture taken today, a week after the first time i noticed) From what I can remember it wasn't a gradual process. He has a heater, light, filter, a 4 Gallon tank,the works. The ends of his fins are perhaps slightly see through. But there is no black or red as described in other cases of fin rot. He eats like its going out of fashion, he makes bubble nests, has plenty of interaction with me and my partner and has silk plants and nothing to snare his fins on.
I don't know if this is tail biting or fin rot, but most refer to the latter being a death sentence and he's happier than I have ever seen him. What's going on here?
Attached Images

Simpleflossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #2 
Simpleflossi

Housing
What size is your tank? 4 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, carbon.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta bio gold.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Three times daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Around 1 litre.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Ragged or ripped tail, with some times a slightly see through appearance.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None what so ever, he's still lively every day and eating.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Well over a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? One application of Interpet Anti fungus and finrot.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None since now.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Around a year
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 
latriana465

To me it looks like bitting. He could be flaring too much which causes his tail to split. The ends of the tail looks likes he's been snacking on them. I wish I could offer advice as to how to get him to stop but the most common is either stress or bordom. I have a tail bitter and I thought I found the cause but he started bitting again. It seems you do a lot of water changes which is good to help let his tail heal without infection.
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #4 
Simpleflossi

Hey, Thank you for your reply. We though it might be biting, and have been offered the advice that he's flaring too much, or not enough! As silly as it sounds we have shown him a video of a male Betta, and he did nothing. He watched intently and then swam away to sit on his filter. He doesn't seem very aggressive.
If it helps the only place that's still perfect is his fins under his belly, a place I assume he can't bite, so does this prove its biting?

In this case would it be easier to say what it isn't, rather than what it is?
Would he be this happy if it were fin rot? Would he even still be alive?

Many thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #5 
latriana465

It makes sense that everything is fine on his belly because I would presume they could not reach there. Most of the time you are not going to see your betta bite his tail because it happens so fast unless yours is like my betta and he wants to show you what he does to his tail....My Delta is currently recovering for a minor touch of fin rot and he did seem down in the dumps and was not as active. I wouldn't say it's easier to say what it isn't because the only thing that I know that attacks a betta tail is either himself or fin rot. Your betta's tail will heal in time with your regular water changes.
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, tail biting