Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 
misteddreamrose

Moss Balls as Filters

Hey all! So, I've been floating around this and a few other betta forums the last few weeks since getting my first three bettas (one died ). Right now, I've got them in 1/2 gallons and, once I have the extra money, I will be upgrading to a 2.5 gallon for them since I've read that's the minimum and I want to give my bettas a good life (I don't have the room for 5 gallons, though depending on the dimensions of the 3 gal, I might go with those if the cash is available).

I was wondering, would moss balls work as a filtration system in the 2.5-5 gallon size tanks? I've read a lot of varying views on filters either being too strong or fine for bettas, and my luck will be such that I get a filter that's too strong. If the moss balls work as filtration, then that will save me more money, otherwise, I will get the kits with the filters.
misteddreamrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #2 
Geomancer

A moss ball won't really do anything for you.

It's true that live plants will use ammonia, thus negating the need for bacteria to break it down into nitrates, but a moss ball grows so slowly it isn't going to help you in this regard.

1/2 gallon is far too small. 2.5g is too small. I wouldn't do anything less than a 5g to be honest. Yes, yes, I know you can keep it alive in smaller, but that doesn't mean it will be a happy life.

Better to of had a single 5g with a single betta, than two 2.5g and two bettas. These fish are far from rare, they can wait until you have the space, tank, and money to support them ... just a thought.

Sponge filters are best for small tanks. Low flow, easy to clean, and the sponge lasts for years without needing to be replaced.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote