Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #15921 
SnowySurface

To be honest, what the lady was doing sounds more like commanding than helping. If I see someone reaching for a 0.5 gallon or smaller, I'll suggest they get a bigger tank and then go about my business. I don't shove my "knowledge" down their throats and then follow them to make sure they brought what I "suggested". I simply say my piece and move on.

More people need to learn how to speak their mind and then move on without demanding every person who hears them obey without question. DX
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #15922 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I once had a lady at a fish store tell me only people over 18 could buy a fish without a parent being there. I was 22 at the time, keeping and breeding some quite difficult and valuable betta species.

This was the same store where one of the women asked me if I knew that it was impossible to keep male and female bettas together. Apparently they had tried it in the past and they had (expectedly) fought and one or both had died.

This is why I never take what any fish store employees tell me seriously. I mean these are the people customers go to for ADVICE on their fish and they don't even know the basics. It's pathetic really.

I want to rant about the fact that some one said ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) is not real but is just the result of bad parenting creating bratty kids. My brother was diagnosed with that (I think he also has something else underlying this) when he was young and it was a nightmare. He would run around with knives, hold them to our throats, run around with aerosol cans and a lighter, pretend he was going to hang himself at dinner time, say he was going to kill us on a regular basis, hang off the back of our car if we were trying to reverse.

He is also very manipulative in that he managed to convince one of his teachers in high school that he was intellectually challenged and needed a helper. My mum was completely baffled when the woman told her that she just had him doing word searches and crosswords because he needed assistance. His psychiatrist never knew how bad it was until he told her that he had got a cat of his own in the hopes it was going to kill my mum's cat.

Whatever he has, it is not just the result of bad parenting. Our mother is not the most consistent, but even when he went and lived with my dad he could not control himself. He lasted a year at my grandparents' house before they could not handle him anymore.

I wish people would understand that just because a certain disorder seems like the flavour of the month (sort of like ADD is now), doesn't mean that there aren't real people suffering out there. My brother would do something even if it meant he didn't get what he wanted. If you said the sky was blue he would argue with you that it was green. It is so hard to punish him as nothing seemed to matter. You could ban things, send him into time-out, give him a smack, ground him and still he would continue doing what he was doing.

Phew just needed to get that off my chest as it has been bugging me all morning.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #15923 
xShainax

They are blaming Aspergers for the school shooting in CT. As someone with it, it upsets me a lot.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #15924 
thekinetic

My rant affects all in the US, they're trying to ban AR15s and high capacity magazines. I am POd at this and I'm going to buy one so that there will be one more person with one that gun grabbing little dumb ****s didn't stop! I support the 2nd amendment as all patriots should or shut their mouth!>:(

And I am already going to get my CCL even though I will be open carrying my guns and thanks to those people and I will be carrying two or three of them just to rub their noses in it!
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #15925 
ZergyMonster

I was going to get my concealed weapons license but I don't have the money for a gun, and I hardly leave the house as it is. I'll leave all the protection to my fellow 2nd amendment lovers. They are the first line of defense against psychos like him.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #15926 
FishyFishy89

There wont be a ban. Its unconsintuional. Thats probly spelled wrong xD
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #15927 
BettaHeart

rant: need to get new boots sigh
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #15928 
thekinetic

I have a nice gun to carry, it's a smith and wesson M&P 9mm. Being gay I know I have more reason to carry than most. I've read plenty of horror stories of suc situations! O_O
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #15929 
xShainax

When I move out, I am buying a handgun, something that I can protect myself with
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #15930 
Sena Hansler

-sigh- My crowntail pair is living in harmony in 3 gallons of water, in a 10 gallon. Do not know how tempted I am to go "BAH!" and toss a SH-- ton of decor in there, make it denser than a jungle, and let them harmonize >:(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou