Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #1 
cantfindone

cant lower high nitrite/nitrate levels

Hey guys! My previous betta passed away last week and i decided to get another one. Im using the same tank. It is a 9L heated (around 27 degrees celcius) and filtered tank with no live plants. Just a little ornament. When my last betta died i cleaned the gravel and the whole tank and started fresh. But i made sure to clean the filter with the old tank water bcoz i didnt want to lose any good bacteria. However i tested my parameters and the ammonia was high the first day or so. The next day my ammonia went down to 0.25ppm and now my nitrite and nitrate levels are very high. I did a 20% water change but nothing has changed. My fish is active and does not seem to be bothered by the levels. My nitrite is at 5.0ppm and my nitrate is between 20 and 40ppm. Any suggestions on what to do?
cantfindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #2 
Myates

Are you using water conditioner? How often do you do your water changes?

In a tank that size with a filter and no live plants you are looking at doing 2 50% water changes per week - 1 with siphoning of the gravel. Dosing the tank for the full amount of conditioner each time.

That tank is too small to hold a stable cycle, which is why the more frequent water changes are a must to help keep those numbers down.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #3 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindone View Post
Hey guys! My previous betta passed away last week and i decided to get another one. Im using the same tank. It is a 9L heated (around 27 degrees celcius) and filtered tank with no live plants. Just a little ornament. When my last betta died i cleaned the gravel and the whole tank and started fresh. But i made sure to clean the filter with the old tank water bcoz i didnt want to lose any good bacteria. However i tested my parameters and the ammonia was high the first day or so. The next day my ammonia went down to 0.25ppm and now my nitrite and nitrate levels are very high. I did a 20% water change but nothing has changed. My fish is active and does not seem to be bothered by the levels. My nitrite is at 5.0ppm and my nitrate is between 20 and 40ppm. Any suggestions on what to do?
Daily waterchanges until your ammonia and nitrites are 0, until your tank has cycled.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #4 
cantfindone

I use stress coat with every water change. I used to do a 40% water change every week. My tank was already cycled but when my first betta died i cleaned it all out. Should i have just left the old tank water for the new fish? I did another water change last night. And i will dp another one as soon as i get home from work
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 
Viva

If you cleaned the inside of the glass and the decor and changed the substrate, a lot of the beneficial bacteria will be gone. Especially if you changed out 100% of the water. There will still be some left in your filter, though, so it should cycle a lot faster this time.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 
cantfindone

So next time ill jus leave the same water in there. I tested again today and still same levels so i did another water change. Ill let u guys know how i go. Roughly how long does a cycle for this size tank take?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

How long was the tank empty between Bettas? If it was more than a day or two the BB probably died off because there was no ammonia feeding it. I would do at least a 50% water change, wait an hour retest & do another 50% to get that nitrite down & I'd do 50% each water change. the cycle could go 6-8 wks depending on how much if any BB survived in the filter based on what you said it sounds like you are essentially starting from scratch with a fish IN cycle.

Last edited by shellieca; 12-17-2012 at 10:27 PM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high, nitrate, nitrite