Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #1 
Starfish1

Male/female tanks next door to each other?

I have two female bettas and saw a beautiful male Id like to get. I was wondering if it's ok to put their tanks all in a row, (separate tank for each one!) where the male and female would be able to see each other. Right now my two females are next door to each other and like to "play" through the glass and I also have two males next door to each other who do not flare at all, they just kinda mind their own business.
I don't want to breed my bettas and I've read that putting the male and female in tanks next to each other is the first step in the breeding process, that they get excited and start bubble nests/ eggs. I had one of my females next to a male in the past and she started changing colors and getting very hyper. Does this always happen? I don't want that to start happening if I'm not going to be breeding them. I guess I could put something up betweeen them so that they can't see each other between the tanks but I thought it would be cute if they would all kind of play together through the glass like my females do!

What has been everyone else's experiences?
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #2 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
That will be just like a divided tank, but better. Should be fine. Welcome to the forum!
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #3 
aemaki09

I used to keep my males and females next to each other before I started a sorority tank...male-female-male-female.
They always did fine.
They will likely want to breed at first and will go through the rituals, but after they realize their neighbor is "just a tease" they'll get over it. I've actually found it much less stressfull on my fish to do it that way vs. males next to each other.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 
jeaninel

They should be fine. You could always put a piece of paper or cardboard between the tanks if you don't want them to see eachother.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #5 
JadeSparrow

My male and female are next door to each other. They will flare and dance every now and then but then go back to ignoring each other. Most of the time they don't really pay attention to anything outside their tank unless the dog starts staring at them.
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #6 
Myates

Don't have to worry about placing them next to one another.. you may see a few more bubble nests, but that's just fine. No added stress to either side, after a short while any thoughts on breeding will eventually fade, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 
Starfish1

Wow thanks everyone!

So I guess this means I'm getting him then! :)
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #8 
aemaki09

Yay!

Goodluck!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote