Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #1 
Prettyprada

Traveling with betta? help!

Hi everyone...
I was just informed that the people who would be watching over my Prada over Christmas break will be gone as well (wish they told me earlier)...

So it looks like I will have to be taking Prada home with me. Any advice on how to transport him? It is a 6 hour car ride... (precisely the reason I didn't want to take him with me, but I have no choice now).

Does his container need to be covered so that it is dark? Just keep him in his container in my lap (I'm not driving)? How do I do this to make sure he is not stressed?
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #2 
Fabian

Take a shipping bag,filled with the tank water your betta is in.
Tie it and make it full of air.
Then put him in a black plastic bag(this reduces stress) and your done.
Here is how to bag your betta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVEs4...1&feature=plcp
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #3 
majesticstorm

Well, I just successfully brought Rain with me on a 7hr bus/train ride back home for the holidays too. I didn't have a shipping bag, so I put him back in his betta cup with tank water and a few drops of stress coat, wrapped it up with a big towel, and put it in a cardboard box. I had the box on my lap the whole time. It looked like this:

I got some weird looks and questions from people, but he made it

Oh, and if you are going to use this method, I highly recommend you fill up a clean water bottle with tank water so that you have extra water in case anything happens and water is lost in the cup (happened to me, the lid wasn't securely on and water splashed out).

Last edited by majesticstorm; 12-18-2012 at 05:01 AM.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

I just did a car ride with my three bettas. I used a setup similar to what majesticstorm posted -- but I put the cups into a small Igloo cooler, as I felt this would help keep the temperature more constant.

I put the cooler onto the floor in front of the back seat (right behind my seat), as I felt it would provide a more consistent temperature. If you keep the car at a comfortable temp, they should be OK.

Being paranoid, I also drank half a bottle of water, and kept the half-filled bottle in the cup holder. This allowed me to see what was happening with the water in their cups. LOL. It was actually fine. The water would tilt and move, but didn't splash.

Majesticstorm had it much tougher, switching from between trains and buses (and walking). If you're taking your own car, I think it'll be easier, since it's just one load, and then you can control the temp yourself.

And Fabian's idea is excellent. But I didn't have shipping bags, and I was worried about squashing the bags. I felt the cups would provide structure, and as it turned out, the three cups fit well into the small cooler. Since you only have the one betta, you can pad the cooler with a towel, like Majesticstorm did, to keep the cup from sliding around.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 12-18-2012 at 11:29 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 
Prettyprada

Oh ok awesome! I think I can actually do this now! Thanks you guys :)
I will try for the plastic bag idea, but if I can't find any I'll just a container since his betta cup split :(

I've washed the container with soap before..should I just buy a new container? Or is there a way to get all the soap residue off?
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #6 
aemaki09

You could also put him in a tupperware container or something with some towels so he doesnt slide around inside of a small cooler if you can get a hold of one, this will help retain some heat and keep the temperature from getting too crazy, if not then a box is good too.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote