Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 
Solaris

Question Is my decoration safe?

So, my first Betta, Pavel, died from what I believe to be a fungal infection. It took him in just 24 hours from the time I noticed something was wrong.

Since then, I have gotten a new tank and want to include two of Pavel's favourite decorations in it as a tribute.

This includes a small silk plant and one of those Betta leaf hammocks. I soaked them both overnight in boiling water from my kettle. They are currently stored in my closet. I'll rinse them again before putting them in the tank, of course.

What I want to know now is... Was the boiling enough to kill the bacteria? Or will the fungus still be present? I don't want to put any future Betta in danger of infection.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 
Viva

If it was a fungus the boiling and soaking in tap water would have done the trick, but not all bacteria will be killed off from this. After doing some reading on the "Mystery Disease in Blue Bettas" it turned out to be a type of bacteria that even bleach won't kill...it must be sprayed with Lysol and left to sit for a few days. For your purposes, however, I'd say the boiling did the job.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote