Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 
Juicebox

5 gallon npt buddies

i set up a 5 gallon npt last night. so far the only living thing in the tank is 4 malaysian trumpet snails and maybe 12 baby pond snails..

im thinking about putting my vt male into this tank in a week or 2 and im wondering what tank mates would be good for him.

i did have 2 adfs in the tank before,but one suddenly died and the other went missing.. so i cleaned it all out and did a npt.

the tank is heavily planted,id say at least 70 percent with loads of floaters too,ive got marimo moss ball,duckweed.anubias,.java moss,hornworth,swords and 2 or 3 other plants i have yet to identify.got some driftwood,a large rock,so plenty of hiding spaces and breaks in the line of sight..going to get more plants next week too

i have some ghost shrimp and a mystery snail in another tank so i dont really want anymore of them. i think i would like some fish in my 5 gallon,any ideas what fish i could stock in there?
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #2 
DragonFish

In a 5 gallon, besides dividing the tank for a second betta, there really are no betta compatible actual fish tankmates that will fit I'm afraid. Its not so much a bioload thing as it is a space issue....there just isn't enough room for a proper school of anything to, well, school....and anything else would either grow too large and/or isn't betta compatible. A 5 gallon really isn't all that much room when it comes to other fish species.

Your options really are just shrimp, snails, and ADFs I'm afraid. Have you looked into different kinds of shrimp? Like Red Cherry? They're a little more colorful and interesting then Ghosts, though a tad more expensive so you'll probably want to make sure your betta isn't a shrimp eater...
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 
Juicebox

he was in with ghost shrimp for 2 weeks and never ate any so shrimp are ok,i am gonna get some red cherry for my bigger tank with the ghosts,i might try one or 2 in the 5 gallon, is there no 1 single other fish i can keep in there,like 1 catfish or 1 of any fish,or 3 or 4 small tetra size fish
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Most catfish species get very large, and those that don't, like Corys, require groups of 6+ and because of that 10+ gallons for most species. I'm unfamiliar with the Dwarf strains, but they still need a nicely sized shoal as well and honestly I think the footprint of any 5 gallon is just too small to support a proper schooling/shoaling species.
Its the same with tetras. They need schools of 5-6+ and room to school....there just isn't enough space in a 5 gallon to support that.

Its also much more likely that in the 5 gallon your betta will become more aggressive to fish tank mates 'invading' his territory and/or become stressed with them taking up his swimming space. When you start thinking about other fish, 5 gallons is just so small.
So over all its just not a good idea IMO.

If the RCS work out, a few of those would probably be your best option. I know there are a few other kinds of shrimp in different colors as well, could possibly look into adding a couple of those as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an "ADF"??? And an "NPT"???

I had 6 tiny pond snails in my 5 gal w/ 2 lady Bettas; somehow, I can't find the pond snails- are they fish food?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #6 
DragonFish

ADF=African Dwarf Frog
NPT=Natural Planted Tank

Well, pond snails are small. You could just not be spotting them, though bettas do eat snails sometimes, especially small ones. Though if you're not finding empty shells, its likely they're just hiding.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

If they're hiding, I'll bet I have a million pond snails in a few months!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Haha, most likely.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #9 
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I had 6 tiny pond snails in my 5 gal w/ 2 lady Bettas; somehow, I can't find the pond snails- are they fish food?
is your tank seperated into 2 halves or are your females just free in the tank to touch each other and fight and stuff
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

I've had quite a go-round with how I house my girls. They are not divided; they are both basically fry, and seem to be great buddies. They bump into each other while eating, and one prefers the upper 1/3 of the tank, while the other likes the plants and zipping through the cave I built. On the advice of people on this forum, I bought a 20-gallon tank. It will tank me a week to set it up and cycle it. I'll add a catfish, the and the girls' pet snail. Apart from that, what fish make good companions for the girls? I love fancy guppies, but those fins might look like a snack to a betta.