Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #41 
purplemuffin

Ask if your local reptile vet can just run a fecal test without the office fee(as in, bring in a fresh stool in a plastic bag to the vet) though they will need to weigh him themselves to give any medication. Fecal exams are usually somewhere between 15-30 dollars depending on the type of tests they run. They'll probably give him some panacure or some other dewormer to get rid of the worms. which it looks like he has(weight loss despite eating, dehydration, etc)

Make sure his hot spot is warm! He will need all the warmth he can get to get better. I would also advise against too much handling at the moment, as stress can contribute to not eating.

For the dehydration--unflavored pedialyte can be found in grocery stores and it does wonders to help hydrate reptiles. A soak in warm(not hot) water/pedialyte will help him out. His runny poo is helping dehydrate him more than usual, so we need to get that cleared up as soon as possible.

Honestly I really suspect stress and parasite load are the cause of all this mess, and once that's taken care of you should be home free.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #42 
Sena Hansler

Will a local non-exotic vet actually work? Because these guys know nothing outside of cats and dogs with the odd bird type here and there. If so, good, I don't need to travel considering I cannot get a weekend day off :/ which is the only time I can get to the city.

He doesn't mind being held, he will actually come to you and crawl onto your lap he prefers to wander, though. Temperature for basking spot is warm, luckily that's the one thing that is working. He's getting a bath today.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #43 
purplemuffin

The fecal tests should be able to see whatever parasite eggs are there no matter what it is.

I know banfields (petsmart vets) aren't known for being the best vets, but they do see petsmart animals, which are often exotics like bearded dragons, so they do have the ability to check for parasites. They will have to make you check in because of the way their computers work, they can't give medication to a pet they haven't seen before. Call your petsmart with a banfield and see if they know of any local vets who see exotics.

The issue with over handling is reptiles often don't show signs of stress other than long term signs-like not eating. He might be fine, it's just something I would do to play it safe.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 12-17-2012 at 02:43 PM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #44 
Sena Hansler

Don't worry he is not handled all the time lol. I make sure to handle him at least evey couple or few days, or at least let him out and about in a supervised area.

Petsmart is in the city. We have two vet clinics here. That's all.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #45 
Sena Hansler

I'll just leave this thread open, just to tell you his progress if there is any.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #46 
ThePearlFish

Good :)

I'd def. like to know how your boy is as you keep caring for him.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #47 
Sena Hansler

He did eat today. About 13 wormies, sprinkled with calcium. He was more lively, and he did drink on his own.