Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 
Kithy

New fish just chilling

So the betta I got yesterday seems fine as in he lasted the night, isn't floating upside down or sideways. He just seems to be chilling near the top.

He ate a pellet or two so I'm not worried, just curious if this is common behavior for the first few days in a much larger tank or if he's a bit stressed as this 20gallon has little cover right now.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #2 
Kithy

Well he's swam around a bit in a fluttery motion (best way I can describe lol). I walked into the room and as I'm getting closer to the tank I see water moving. I think he must just be trying to get used to all the space.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

They're all different, some will chill because they're overwhelmed & others will not stop moving! I would definitely get him some more cover, does he have a cave or two to hide out in? You can use a coffee cup or 2 turned on they're side for a cave.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #4 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
They're all different, some will chill because they're overwhelmed & others will not stop moving! I would definitely get him some more cover, does he have a cave or two to hide out in? You can use a coffee cup or 2 turned on they're side for a cave.
Ah coffee cup might be a good idea, thank you :3 He has a very large plant that he hid in as soon as he was put into the tank after acclimating. He did the wiggle dance when I got close so I guess that's a good thing.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #5 
Kithy

He hasn't investigated yet but I'll be watching :3 Thank you so much for the idea <3

Last edited by Kithy; 12-18-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

They take little bit to settle in so I'm sure he'll be fine. You've got a good sized tank for him now you just gotta fill it in a little bit. If you can get some taller silk plants he'll like that. Mine like to rest on leaves just below the water line.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #7 
Kithy

I can probably get 3-4 silks to put in there and put on the filter to help a bit after Christmas :3 He likes the thermometer it seems.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

LOL. Probably because its near the surface, he can rest there, reach up & get a breath. I have one that likes to hang out behind the heater on the top suction cup even though he has plants.