Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #1 
BettaPirate

Vacation feeders

I am not planning on needing to use these but I might in the future and I was wondering if they were actually good or not?

http://www.amazon.com/Balance%C2%AE-...ds=betta+tanks

or

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Vacation...tion+fish+food

Also I do twice a week 50% changes of water and a %100 change once a month for my 3 gallon tank and that seems to keep the water perfect. If I were gone for a week and missed a 50% change would that be detrimental to my betta?
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 
Myates

Those vacation feeders are what will easily kill the betta - they make smaller tanks water quality really bad, along with the fish eating it all in one day and causing health issues. Always wise if going away for a week to just feed the fish and change the water right before you leave and don't add in any vacation feeders.

When you return home, do a smaller water change a couple times (once a day for a few days) rather than a large one - sudden change in the chemistry/pH can cause them to go into shock. A week without food nor water change won't harm the fish - no food means no waste which in turn keeps the water a bit cleaner.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #3 
Solaris

I used those years and years ago. I had a 20 gallon tank, but it didn't have a Betta in it, so I can't really say how it would affect them. But, it worked well for the fish that I did have. I ran a test with one while I was at home to see how they worked and how much it would dirty the water/change its chemistry. So, maybe you could run a test like that just to be sure.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #4 
majesticstorm

I was thinking about buying this feeder: http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...sh-feeder.html

You can measure out exactly the amount of food you want to feed your fish, but it's only for 14 days.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #5 
BettaPirate

I doubt I would ever be able to lave for more than 14 days anyway LOL! Interesting, I might need ot look into that if I am ever unable to find a fish sitter :)
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 
Myates

A 20g can handle a vacation feeder much easier than anything under 5g.
As for the automatic.. I've heard mixed reviews -a lot of people saying it malfunctioned and either didn't feed, or went around and fed all at once.

It's up to you if you want to risk fouling up the water and possibly causing over eating. Personally since a betta can go weeks without food with no ill side effects if the fish is healthy, and water quality is the most important thing while you're away.. I rather risk it then try to feed them. But that is my preference.

Wish you luck with whatever you decide.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #7 
txbettaowner

I had the same question as we were gonna be gone for 11 days to go to Ohio for Christmas vacation. I went out and bought an automatic feeder that I can adjust the amount the feeder dispenses. I haven't used it yet but do not go with those floating feeders. I got the same replies on not using them. I bought this automatic feeder: http://www.petco.com/product/112644/...t=OnSiteSearch

although i found this feeder to be better but couldn't find it in the store:
http://www.petco.com/product/116674/...t=OnSiteSearch
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am going on a one week vacation. I bought a Feeding Machine for my Guppies. I decided to not feed Carter.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote