Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #21 
DiiQue

Yup, you would probably lose money on this endeavour, so just as long as you do this for the reason of just rescuing and possibly saving the lives of these little guys, then you are good to go. If you are hoping to have it be a self-sustaining endeavour, you may find that this is harder to achieve. First, those bettas that are left behind in the stores are probably not the most attractive fish (hence the reason for them not being picked up by customers) so you may have the same issues trying to find homes for them once you bring them back to health. The other thing, is that most animal adoption shelters ask for donations from the community and do not rely solely on the adoption fees, as they lose out, financially. You may want to do something similar to keep your operations afloat or at least defray some of the costs that you will be incurring.

The other thing, if you to go the LFS and pick up the sick fish, ask that you get them for free. Explain what you are trying to do and hopefully they see the light and agree with you. If you pay anything for the sick fish, it will give those LFS an incentive to keep on buying and treating them as before, since they know they can sell the fish, regardless of their condition.

Anyways, kudos to you for wanting to do this. Just give it more thought on how you plan on keeping the operation afloat long term.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Be ready for some deaths though.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #23 
Goldie2nd

This is not for personal gain as much as for personal satisfaction. I just want to save these little ones. I really am not looking for gaining any profit except to continue helping these fish. I am researching right now about Betta sickness and everything else I can to ensure I can do this and believe me I want to. I have the time for it and I am going to start saving the money for it. It's still a year away to do this but I just wanted opinions and advice as you all have provided and I am grateful for. Thanks!
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I were you I would breed high quality Bettas on the side.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #25 
Goldie2nd

Well I have never have bred Bettas so I would not know how? I wish I could learn but right now I want to focus on saving them not making more Bettas for more of them to suffer and die in my honest opinion I think there are enough Bettas in need that me making more not to say is bad to breed Bettas is just I want to save the ones I can first will see maybe some day.
I am saving Pennies and all types of cents to do this I will also be saving cash as soon as possible to do this project. It will take me up to a year before I actually start this because I first need to move back to FL where I have more equiptment for such a thing. Right now I am renting a room and I also have kitten, I'm also looking for a part time job so like I said this is in the long run but I do know I want to do this. I also asked for Petco gift cards for X-mas so I will start stocking on medicine and things like that.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Breeding higher quality Bettas might help pay for the Rescue.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #27 
Blue Fish

First off, I feel your pain about wanting to save them all. A friend of mine asked me to help her pick out two bettas for her daughter for Christmas...and it was awful trying to figure out just two to save from all those tiny cups... :(
Everyone else has already gone over the pros and cons and all the rest, but before you start buying meds haphazardly, I'll give you some rec's.
I tried doing what you are thinking about several years ago when the betta craze first hit. (this was back in the late 90's, early 00's.)

My biggest "fish saver" med was Jungle's Fungus Cure. It seems to get rid of most diseases, at least the ones that are actually treatable. Some fish are just going to die. You tried, you did your best, but some things just can't be fixed. Don't buy it in tablets, try and find the jars of he crystals/powder, it's much more economical, and you can dose down for smaller containers much more easily.
Other than that, stock up on lots of AQ salt, Epsom salts, water conditioner, heaters, and plastic wrap. I've read it on here time and time again, so I'm really just repeating what so many others have already said, go with clean water, salts, warm water and plastic wrap over the top to keep the humidity in (that's an OFL rec and it works wonders!), and you'll most likely fix whatever they've got going on. Then try using meds if all else fails.

I just wanted to give you that head's up on the meds, other than the Jungle Fungus Cure, the rest of them don't seem to do much, and the Jungle is generally cheaper anyway. Hopefully that'll save you some money! :)

Good luck to you!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mine is IAL.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #29 
Goldie2nd

Wow thanks guys! This will help yes i think AS does help a lot and I will do my best with this. I will def stock up on heaters,AS Quarintine, conditioner, tanks and such. I still have ways to go but I am reading and researching on Betta Illness and all I can do to hopefully save some of these fish. I know some of them will die but I will try my best.
Is still a long way till this happens right now I'm saving money and researching as much as I can.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #30 
Bsalem05

If you don't mind me asking.. what area in FL are you moving back too??
If you are down south as I am I would love to help you out with this project.. =)
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote