Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Seems like I am going to lose everyone!

So far I've lost 6 of my babies. And it looks like atleast the rest of my sorority tank and 3 more males are affected by my mystery disease.
There go all my hopes of breeding and showing as I can't afford to buy any more quality fish for quite a while. :(
S.i.p. :: chunks, rusty, rosey, marbles, my double tail, copper and whoever else passes.
This is horrible.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #2 
polukoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
So far I've lost 6 of my babies. And it looks like atleast the rest of my sorority tank and 3 more males are affected by my mystery disease.
There go all my hopes of breeding and showing as I can't afford to buy any more quality fish for quite a while. :(
S.i.p. :: chunks, rusty, rosey, marbles, my double tail, copper and whoever else passes.
This is horrible.
Is there a fine dust covering their body or white spots? Or are they expanding when they die making the scales pop out?
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 
aemaki09

No only one I noticed had dropsy the rest I can't see anything wrong besides white poo. I've posted in the diseases and emergency section and ive been treating everyone with furan-2 and Epsom, but it's not helping
Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #4 
Kitty Whiskers

Unhappy I know how you feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
This is horrible.
I have something like this happening in my Sorority tank too right now. I just lost my 5th Betta in 2 weeks so far. I have no idea what to do because the only symptom is claped fins. Even the ones that don't have any symptoms at all just die the next day after being totally normal.

I know what you are going through, it is scary being so helpless in helping them :(
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Yeah, mine don't even have clamped fins.they just stop eating and barely move unless it's for air then die
Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi aemeki. So sorry about your sorority. :(

You said you suspected columnaris? Do they have fuzzy white mucous on them that looks like a fungus? And you said they had a white poo?

It's possible they have columnaris but it's also possible they have internal parasites. White poo usually means parasites but it can also indicate an internal bacterial infection.

You can continue to treat with Furan-2 for another course (I think a course is 5 doses?) but if that has no effect, I would then add Seachem Kanaplex. The Kanaplex will be more easily absorbed by the gills/skin so it will treat internal bacterial infections much more effectively while the Furan-2 is effective for external bacterial problems like columnaris bacteria.

If, after a full course of this combo (5 days), there is no change at all, then I would discontinue the Furan-2 and add a parasite med like Seachem Paraguard to the Kanaplex. Normally, you can actually use all three in combination but since your girls will have already had two courses of Furan-2, it would be best to halt that.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #7 
aemaki09

I've been trying to find kanaplex and all sorts of other meds suggested on this site, furan-2 and I think maracyn plus were the only 2 available, I can switch to maracyn plus if that would work better, but I feel like this is killing so fast that I won't be able to have the kanaplex shipped and here in time to save the rest if I went that route. I also don't think that I have seen para guard either, but I will check. I am going to a couple of pet stores in my area tomorrow to get another round of the furan (or maracyn plus if suggested)
I've noticed on the latest girl to come down with it that she had a "fuzzy" white patch where her ventral used to be, and was until the patch showed up. This is the first thing I've noticed other than the poo. This is just my best guess as I've had little experience with illness before this.
Thanks for the reply!

Edit: I should add that furan is a 4 day treatment, this is day 4, I've noticed no others get Ill yet, but before the last one I went 3 days without another death so I'm not sure if it's the meds or luck

Last edited by aemaki09; 12-21-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I understand about not being able to wait for the Kanaplex; that's the real downside of that med. If you can find Maracyn Plus, then I would try that and see if it makes a difference. Anything but Maracyn I or Maracyn II.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #9 
aemaki09

Ok I'll get maracyn plus tomorrow
How long can I continue that for?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #10 
Sakura8

2 courses should do the trick, hopefully.