Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #1 
chandratheoscarlover

pls somebody help me....

i am from India,Tamilnadu
can somebody pls help me to get a microworm starter culture i pls i have tried a lot to get from aquabid i ordered twice with no use except i got myself charged and refunded later because the shipping wasnt available......i have been feeding eggyolks and i have to change water every other day and also i am not getting that much results...i get a six to eight from a batch of fries could some one help.....pls any advice of how to get or anyother alternative pls help me

i just wanted to add this
brine shrimp hatching is also not possible in my place because of the 18hrs of power shortage
pls someone help me
chandratheoscarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well, first off welcome to the forum :) I'm sure someone on here has a MC culture they could ship to you. If you wanted, I could find you first bites (finely ground for baby fish) and powdered baby food, as non-live alternatives.

You can also use cooked egg yolk. See if they take to it. I find baby fish grow a lot faster and better with live foods, but if in the case you cannot find some that is the best alternative since its full of protein.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi chandra..... (hope you don't mind my calling you chandra), welcome to the forum.

Your place should have lots of live food alternatives; like daphnia.
This is what I do: Set up a tank/tub out side, full of water. Put in a few dried leaves and live plants (the more live plants the better). Then put in something to decay - I use daphnia and tubifex worms. You can use left over veggies. Let everything sit for 3 weeks. The water should become cloudy in the first week, but begin to clear in the second and third. By then your water should be full of goodies for fry.

Take out half-2/3 of water and refill until half of container. Let it sit again for another week then put in your breeders. Once fry are free swimming, I feed eggyolk and a cup of daphnia (hoping they will reproduce and feed fry). . . . I always put live tubifex before breeding. If everything is right, you should be able to get 300+ fry. Or neglect them and put in daphnia every week for 20-100 fry.

Separate big fry from small ones to allow the smaller ones to grow more because bigger fry get all the food and release stunting hormones.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #4 
chandratheoscarlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Hi chandra..... (hope you don't mind my calling you chandra), welcome to the forum.

Your place should have lots of live food alternatives; like daphnia.
This is what I do: Set up a tank/tub out side, full of water. Put in a few dried leaves and live plants (the more live plants the better). Then put in something to decay - I use daphnia and tubifex worms. You can use left over veggies. Let everything sit for 3 weeks. The water should become cloudy in the first week, but begin to clear in the second and third. By then your water should be full of goodies for fry.

Take out half-2/3 of water and refill until half of container. Let it sit again for another week then put in your breeders. Once fry are free swimming, I feed eggyolk and a cup of daphnia (hoping they will reproduce and feed fry). . . . I always put live tubifex before breeding. If everything is right, you should be able to get 300+ fry. Or neglect them and put in daphnia every week for 20-100 fry.

Separate big fry from small ones to allow the smaller ones to grow more because bigger fry get all the food and release stunting hormones.

Good luck.
thank u very much i will try ur method and u can call me chandra......thanks again
chandratheoscarlover is offline   Reply With Quote