Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #21 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
If you put in the coupon code BETTAFISH (all caps), you get 10% off. I have bought quite a bit from her in the last few months. Plants are always in top shape and arrive fast. She even adds extra plants most of the time. She works with you if there are any problems, too. I have no complaints, at all!
Even better! Thank you! I have heard a lot of great things about them, from reading other threads on here and from reading the reviews on her page. Do you know what the shipping cost is like? I'm assuming I'm always nervous in ordering live stuff off the internet because of shipping, but her prices are great and plants in stores around here are not cheap!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #22 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sorry CK, I lost track of who I was advising. Putting your Mom's used filter floss into your filter is, of course, the best way to cycle the 29g.

You could/should use it in your troublesome 5g just to see what happens

But it begs the question: why is she throwing away all that beneficial bacteria?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #23 
carbonxxkidd

I know! I told her that she should keep it until it's falling apart, but she said "it's too gross." Her tank has never had any spikes after she's done it, so I'm guessing there's enough bacteria in her gravel and in the other filter media (bio rings and substrat pro) to keep her cycle going.

SO, I guess I'll take it. If my 5g is still struggling next week when she cleans her tank, I will put some of her stuff in that tank too. Today marks 4 weeks of the 5g being up and running, and apparently cycles usually take 4-6 or more so I feel like I'm on track with that one. Still a bit frustrating regardless.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #24 
carbonxxkidd

I just ordered my plants! They are all low-light/beginner plants, so hopefully they will stay alive in my tank. Here is what I ordered:

Bacopa carolina
Hygrophila corymbosa
Banana plant
Vallisneria spiralis
Dwarf Four-leafed clover
Low light package for 20g tanks which includes 2 java ferns, 2 Crypocoryne Wendii, 2 Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis or spiralis, 2 anacharis or anacharis narrow leaf, 1 Marimo ball, and 1 amazon sword.

I kind of went overboard, but I want the tank to be heavily planted from the start. Some of the plants I bought are in bunches, or have 5-6 stems, so my tank should be pretty full I hope. I also bought some Flourish complete fertilizer and some dwarf lilly bulbs from Walmart. Substrate coming tomorrow, so whenever I get the plants I will set up the tank. My filter is supposed to come between the 20th-24th, so that will be set up probably after I get the tank set up.

Once the tank is set up, I'm planning on getting a few platies (because they are hardy and colorful) to help feed the plants, and then start adding other fish probably a week or two later, in small bunches.

My mom wants to clean her tank/replace her filter media this week, probably before I get my filter. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping her bacteria alive while I wait for my filter to put it in? If I can talk her into holding off a few more days until it arrives, I will, but she is pretty impatient.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #25 
Viva

What a funky shape for a tank! Did you make it or purchase it like that? I thought all 29gals were just the same length and width as 20 longs but 6" taller.

I'm planning on doing basically this exact project when I get enough money and move into a new place so I won't have to tear down a newly setup tank...my lease is up at the end of April so hopefully I'll have a 29g planted sorority by next summer!

Good luck on yours, and good luck holding back all your excitement until its ready to be set up, lol!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #26 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
What a funky shape for a tank! Did you make it or purchase it like that? I thought all 29gals were just the same length and width as 20 longs but 6" taller.

I'm planning on doing basically this exact project when I get enough money and move into a new place so I won't have to tear down a newly setup tank...my lease is up at the end of April so hopefully I'll have a 29g planted sorority by next summer!

Good luck on yours, and good luck holding back all your excitement until its ready to be set up, lol!
I know! It's so unique! It is an Oceanic tank, my mom bought it over 10 years ago. Apparently they don't make them anymore, too bad because they are so cool.

I got my substrate today and I definitely put it in my tank already and filled the tank up about halfway. My plants are scheduled to be here on Friday or Saturday, so I am going to plant then and hopefully my filter will come early (even though it says it will arrive December 24).

I am getting so impatient, lol. I actually broke my cover glass today cleaning it - which in my mom's eyes would have been a sign that I shouldn't set up this tank. Luckily the standard 20g Aqueon top fits my odd shaped tank, so I just bought a new one and am all set. Now hopefully not a whole lot else goes wrong, lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #27 
MSG

Nicest OEM 29G tank...

The front part of the tank would be perfect for low growing dwarf grass/crypts.

Also based on the way the glass is designed, you always make sure you completely remove the hood ANYTIME you need to do maintenance of any sort.

Feeding shouldn't

Buy one of those long underbed storage containers where you can place your hood, nets, ornaments, accessories, etc.... Otherwise you're going to get water all over carpet where the tank is located.

How are the silicone edges of the tank? I'm going to assume they're still in good condition because anyone who would have had that tank 10 years ago would have been meticulous with maintenance.

If your mother doesn't like handling the filter media, offer to take over that task completely from now on. Well established filter media that's disease free will save you from dealing with a unstable tank for the next 30-60 days.

Another thing you can do while you're waiting for your plants to arrive.... is attach as much filter media to the exterior of that ACTIVE filter. Try to grow as much b-bacteria as possible.

• What type of fish inhabit the 5G tank & what brand & model number filter is it using?
  • What type/brand/model filter were you planning to use with the 29G? Most HOB filters would be too chunky to fit your tank.

Looking forward to see how you arrange your tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #28 
carbonxxkidd

Thanks for all the tips! I actually don't think I'd even want to try putting my hands in the tank with the lid on, it's kind of awkward. Towels are definitely a must. The silicone seems to be fine, I actually had a panic attack earlier because I wasn't sure if silicone degrades over time. All the silicone seems intact, and as of right now the tank is holding about half it's water with no leaks. It was only in use for a few years, if I remember right because I left for college and my mom didn't want to deal with it anymore.

My mom is actually kind of slacking on her tank. It is overstocked (3 angelfish, 1 clown loach, and like 8 other small fish). She has a 26 gallon with an Eheim 2215 and only does monthly water changes (probably why her filter media gets so scummy, but her fish are all healthy). I offered to do more water changes for her, since I am at her house often, and she said she'd think about it. I tested her water today and her nitrates were literally off the chart, over 160ppm. Even with her cleaning her tank in a few days, it's going to take a lot to get that down. I told her I would share some cuttings of my plants with her to help, though (the only live plant she currently has is a Marimo ball).

I will also have an Eheim 2213 on my tank, it just needs to come in the mail already, lol. The 5g just has a small Tetra Whisper filter on it, and is currently divided with 2 young male bettas and 4 ghost shrimp. I think I am on the right track with cycling, just need to be patient and do daily water changes until my nitrites go down. I plan on putting a piece of my mom's filter media in that tank once I get it.

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 12-19-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #29 
carbonxxkidd

Okay, question - I put my eco-complete in my tank yesterday, and realized I probably should have ordered at least 3 bags, instead of 2. The depth is averaging 1.5" but I do plan on sloping the gravel and making it look more "natural" instead of flat so the back will probably have about 2" of substrate. Will this be okay for the plants I have ordered? I know 3" is preferred but if I can get away without adding more eco complete that would be great, and I don't really want to mix gravel/sand with it either.

Also, is a 150w heater what is recommended for a 29g? I have a 100w that I have been playing around with to see if it still works and it's set all to the highest temp (93F) and only seems to be able to get the tank to about 78F. Assuming a higher wattage is necessary?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #30 
MSG

If you take 50% of the media......

in the ESTABLISHED Eheim 2215 filter, your Eheim 2213 filter will be cycled in about 7-10 days once the bacteria has more time to spread out.

That will be fastest & safest method IMO to get your tank ready for fish.

You can even add all your f-bettas right after, but I would leave the tank alone for 48 hours because you should still get bacteria bloom.
  • I would suggest QT the fish & fatten them up for 7-14 days before adding them.
For the eco-c, just leave 1" high layer in the front of the tank & use "dwarf" plants. Since they're small & typically used as a foreground their root systems won't get too crazy.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon, community tank, planted aquarium, sorority