Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #11 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
In a tank of that size, ammonia can build up very quickly. It wouldn't take a decaying plant or much fish waste to cause it. I don't know if you could even maintain a cycle on it.

What's your WC schedule? You have do to 100% changes fairly frequently to keep the ammonia down. Others will chime in on this, I'm a big tank girl.

Actually, a .25 ammonia reading isn't bad, but it shouldn't get above that or you risk hurting your fish. You have to do WCs and gravel vacs as needed to keep that number at or below your current reading. Fortunately on such a small tank it's not such a big deal to change water.
My schedule *had* been 50% once or twice a month, but no more! I hear twice a week is the way to go, I think I'm going to wash the gravel thoroughly and then go to that schedule.
btook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #12 
OrangeAugust

When I had a 2.5 gallon tank I did two 75% water changes per week with a gravel vac (helps get all the junk if you keep stabbing it into the gravel). and a 100% change- where I took everything out and rinsed it out- once a month.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #13 
Geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btook View Post
My schedule *had* been 50% once or twice a month, but no more! I hear twice a week is the way to go, I think I'm going to wash the gravel thoroughly and then go to that schedule.
Well, that's your issue. Do at least two changes a week, of at least 50% each (but will probably have to do more on one of them).

Do not take your gravel out and wash it, just use a gravel vacuum. Taking it out and washing it will only cause you to loose the little beneficial bacteria you have in the small tank.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #14 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Well, that's your issue. Do at least two changes a week, of at least 50% each (but will probably have to do more on one of them).

Do not take your gravel out and wash it, just use a gravel vacuum. Taking it out and washing it will only cause you to loose the little beneficial bacteria you have in the small tank.
Thanks for the info. I *have* started changing the water twice a week (have been doing it for a couple of weeks now) but the ammonia has still not gone down.. do I need to be patient and just persevere a while longer, or is there something I need to do first to get it to zero?
btook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #15 
Geomancer

Without a cycle it will never be zero as fish always produce waste, and it doesn't take much of anything in that volume to get a reading.

Fast growing stem plants can really help, and even more so floating plants. The Java Fern is nice and you should keep it, but they are a very slow grower so their effect on water quality is correspondingly low.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote