Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #1 
Prettyprada

weird poo? apetite and possible fin problem! should I be concerned??

Hi everyone!
I noticed that my fish was swimming around with a weird looking poo... it wasn't stringy like normal fish poo is. It looked like a little ball (I took a picture).
Name:  IMG_0839.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  53.8 KB
Is this bad?

Also, he hasn't been eating like normal (granted I don't really know what his "normal" is, since I've only had him for 2 weeks) but he used to gobble his food down! Now he is only eating 1 pellet per day and 2 if I am lucky. Could he be constipated?

Another thing, his fins (he is a crown tail) look odd to me. It seems to me that they looked fuller when I first got him, now they look like they're thinning? I don't think its fin rot since it doesn't look like it is getting shorter, just thinning... could he be a biter? Or does fin rot also make his fins look like they're thinning? They just look stringy.

I don't have a water testing kit yet. Will be getting that when I go home for Christmas break. Also haven't ordered a heater for him yet, since I won't be here during the time that they would ship it (I'm hoping to get one from pet store in my hometown).

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 GL
What temperature is your tank? no thermometer yet, guessing about 76? room temp is close to 80s most of time due to him not having a heater yet.
Does your tank have a filter? yes, but I turned it off. think it may be too strong.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? not yet
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 or 2 ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Used to be Aqueon, but changed to Omega One now.
How often do you feed your betta fish? try to feed 2-3 pellets 2 times per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once per week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Don't have testing kit yet.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? nothing other than his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? spits food out. quit working on his bubble nest (i think that is because the weather started to get colder. his water used to be very warm on its own, that is why i did not get him a heater to begin with).
When did you start noticing the symptoms? has been spitting food out for a week now.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. I just got him about 2 weeks ago.

I would like someone to help answer/give advice on all 3 concerns: strange poo, spitting food, and odd fins.
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #2 
callistra

It means he's constipated, but as long as the color is okay I don't think he has an infection. Being too cold can cause this. You need to get a glass in tank thermometer and probably a heater to keep him warm. 78-79 is a sweet spot but he needs to be at least 76.

1.5G is too small to have tank mates.

Aqueon can cause constipation so it's good you're feeding Omega One now. I would cut back a little as 6 pellets a day is definitely on the high side. Try feeding 3-4 a day split up.

It's hard to tell from the photo because it may just be the quality or a shadow but it looks like the tips may be browning? If so that's fin rot.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #3 
Prettyprada

Yeah I will get him a heater soon. I just don't want to get one at the big chain petstores because I keep hearing bad reviews... and there in no point in ordering one since I won't be here. So I'll just get the heater at the local pet shop in my home town. They're really good people.

Yes, I know it is small. The only reason he has the ghost shrimp is so they can eat the excess pellets, and they're so small he never even sees them. I'm getting him a 2 gallon for Christmas. But by then he probably won't have any tank mates.

Oh I bet the Aqueon made him constipated! He never eats 6 pellets a day... he literally just spits it all out every time I try to give him something. I was just trying to get him to eat at least 2 every time I fed him, but he will only take one at mid day if any at all...

I just checked him to see if there was browning and I didn't see any. What else could it be? It looks fine...just kind of "stringy."
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

It depends on the heater brand. I have a Hydor Theo heater in all my tanks and I love them... I ordered them online from Petco.
The pellets could also be too big for him. I believe New Life Spectrum pellets are smaller...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #5 
Prettyprada

Yep. I remember you telling me about those. I'll either order or buy from the store when I'm back home.

I wonder if it is his pellets being too big? I know the Aqueon ones were pretty small, but he spits those out as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I believe New Life Spectrum ones are even smaller. If he chews them and spits them out, it's most likely because they are too big. If he completely ignores them then its probably not the size that is the problem. Neither of mine have problems with the size of the Aqueon pellets.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #7 
Prettyprada

yeah he chews on them and then spits them out. But I split his pellets up and tried giving it to him, he still spit it out... but I'll check New Life Spectrum out next time that I am at the store! Thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

They also contain garlic that is supposed to make it more appetizing to them.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #9 
Prettyprada

The new life spectrum ones?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #10 
callistra

Yes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote