Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 
starswirl

Fin rot?

Hi guys :) I'm new to this forum but it looked like a good place to go with my Betta problem.

I think my little guy has finrot and I would like to know the correct steps to take to fix it So many different sites say different things!

Here is some background on him. If anything I am doing could be done differently or better please let me know!

His name is Wally and I've had him about 9 months. He is a very handsome Halfmoon (even with his fins looking the way they do!). He is in a filtered 3 gallon Marine Land Crescent tank with a 10w heater that turns itself off automatically when the water hits the correct temp. The tank has some live plants.

Once a week I test the water & do a partial water change with a gravel vac (I drain about 30% of the water). I always use room temp, bottled, spring water to refill what I syphoned out & I always add the correct amount of Tetra Aquasafe conditioner after the water change. I periodically rinse off the filter cartridge with siphoned tank water to clean it off.

The ammonia is 0, the Nitrites are 0 and the Nitrates are about 20.

I feed him 2 pellets in the morning & 2 at night and leave one day a week for fasting where he isn't fed. He gets fed bloodworms once in a while as a treat.

I have noticed his fins slowly receding and thought at first he might be fin nipping but now I am almost certain that it is fin rot. What can I do/use in order to help him heal?

This morning a did a dose of the dissolving Jungle Fungus Clear tablet (1/4 of a tablet for my sized tank) but read that this stuff will not always work. This is the first time I've tried it and it's only been 12 hours so I can't see any difference yet. I am attaching some pictures so you can get an idea of what he looks like.

I would like to add that he's still very active, comes right up to greet me, eats like normal (he's a bit of a piggy ) and doesn't show any signs of lethargy or overall sickness.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

starswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #2 
starswirl

Here is a picture of wally back in April close to when I first got him

And here he is in July. He had a tear in his tail back in July which had healed on it's own.

His coloring seems to not be as vibrant and dark as it was in this July shot.
starswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Yeah it does look like fin rot to me.
Sounds like you are doing everything very well though!!
To help him heal I'd suggest adding aquarium salt to his tank. You can treat with this for 10 days with 1tsp/gallon (you can work your way up to 3tsp/gallon) you should be doing a water change each day too and only replacing the amount of salt that you removed, say 1.5 gallons - 1.5 tsp.
Fin's seem to be best treated with clean warm water so even if you dont want to try the AQ salt, I'd suggest doing atleast 2x weekly water changes till he starts to heal.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #4 
callistra

Make sure you're using an in tank thermometer with those heaters. They're notoriously inaccurate. Nitrates should stay under 20ppm so maybe an extra water change to get those down, but looks like you're doing a good job :) For fin rot I like Kanaplex or aquarium salt (not both) can't use salts if there are live plants in the tank.. just a little caution.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote